2.0 TFSI Coil Packs on a 1.8T

i wondered what the hell was going on in westys head. coz all the covers have the holes to run the adapters/coil covers

Loads of stuff in my head, most of it useless.

I didn't realise that any cover would fit any head so I had surrendered to the fact that I would have to use a AEB cover with bolt in coils.

Every day is a school day, as they say........ hey ;)

...I didn't realise that any cover would fit any head so I had surrendered to the fact that I would have to use a AEB cover with bolt in coils....

...but happy with bolting the head from an inline engined A4 to a transverse engined S3??

:whistle2:

<tuffty/>

For AGU and other early cars running the "dumb" bolt down coils with a seperate ICM the conversion is a no brainer. We already now the later coils with the integrated drivers are more powerful, and the TFSI ones are more powerful again, and cheaper.

Kev, you say this like it's an easy option? Are you suggesting that you can lose the ICM and convert to tfsi coils whilst staying on ME3.8? or would you HAVE to switch to ME7x for this to work?

Kev, you say this like it's an easy option? Are you suggesting that you can lose the ICM and convert to tfsi coils whilst staying on ME3.8? or would you HAVE to switch to ME7x for this to work?

I know Mark (Byzan A4) has done this mod.... no ECU change required as far as I know

<tuffty/>

Yeh its an easy enough swap if you can operate a soldering iron. No ECU changes required, just reroute the power feed and trigger wires from the ICMs into a later style harness.

You can buy a harness repair kit from the dealer for about £25 and its just soldering then.

Obviously you also need coils, be it early S3 bolt down hitachis, later push in coils, or the TFSI ones. I'd probably be going streight for some nice Red TFSI coils and the AEB/AGU version of the adaptors above so you dont have to change the rocker cover.

38665764042_large.jpg

Wow, I had no idea it was that simple! I think that's something I'll definitely be doing at some point then.

Amazing that it could be so simple that the single trigger wire for the ICM is spliced into the newer style loom and then just powers each coil seperately! I'd have thought it'd be way more complex than that!

Any downsides?

Yeh its pretty simple. The ICM is just 4 big transistors in a package, it works a bit like a relay and allows a small signal from the ECU to control the large power draw that the coil uses. Basically the new coils each have an individual single channel ICM built into them. So instead of having one ICM driving all four cylinders, each coil has its own, driven directly from the ECU.

That makes good sense Kev, considering the relibility issues of the standard S3/A3 coils for ME7x ecu's I'd not bother with it, but reading up, the TFSI stuff seems to be more reliable, and if the claims are to be believed, better for power.

Based purely on reliability and consistency I'd like to change to individual coils like this, I've found the ICM seems to give strange behavior at times, having swapped mine for one from a mates car it drove totally differently, yet mine on his gave different results again.

Any how to guides or wiring explanation with cable colour codes for the AGU boys :)

Any chance of a link as I had a quick read and flicking through vwvortex not to see much light - would appreciate it

Yeh its an easy enough swap if you can operate a soldering iron. No ECU changes required, just reroute the power feed and trigger wires from the ICMs into a later style harness.

You can buy a harness repair kit from the dealer for about £25 and its just soldering then.

Obviously you also need coils, be it early S3 bolt down hitachis, later push in coils, or the TFSI ones. I'd probably be going streight for some nice Red TFSI coils and the AEB/AGU version of the adaptors above so you dont have to change the rocker cover.

not all tfsi coils are the same.. some are slightly phatter in their diameter, making them a very tight fit

Yeh, that Audizine thread seems to recommend the ones starting 06E and 07K (the full PN's are in the thread). The 06H ones from the newest models seem to crack and cause issues so best avoid those.

Any how to guides or wiring explanation with cable colour codes for the AGU boys :)

The problem with a "how-to" is there are a few variations of colors etc. Given your rewiring your ignition system, IMO its better taken on by someone that knows how to read a wiring diagram and knows how to find each cable, and confirm its the correct one. If you cant do that, then its not something you really want to be doing yourself imo.

I wouldnt want to provide a set of instructions, that you then follow and blow your ECU up or whatever because your car happened to be different to how the diagram says it should be.

This might be a bit stupid but bear with me.

If you put in the 2.0 coil packs, bigger spark, better burn. Does that mean you can put in bigger injectors and put in more fuel?

This might be a bit stupid but bear with me.

If you put in the 2.0 coil packs, bigger spark, better burn. Does that mean you can put in bigger injectors and put in more fuel?

Silly boy :)

Not quite how it works mate... AFR is AFR... same amount of air, same amount of fuel but more efficient burn...

TFSI's were designed to be lean burners for emissions, if you add more fuel to the same amount of air all you do is make it rich...

<tuffty/>

Silly boy :)

Not quite how it works mate... AFR is AFR... same amount of air, same amount of fuel but more efficient burn...

TFSI's were designed to be lean burners for emissions, if you add more fuel to the same amount of air all you do is make it rich...

<tuffty/>

Put more air in it then? :)

D`s are the early number. They superseeded into the F`s. If you need some F`s at some point let me know and i`ll see if i can get you some at a very cheap (for brand new originals) ;)

Just started my car up for the first time in 3 months with the Mk2 S3 coil packs and 1mm plug gap

Even with the timing out its a hell of a lot smoother but I do have the bottom pulley that helps with that also

Weather there is a gain in performance i'm not that bothered as its worth it just for the smoother idle

Jason can you get audi parts cheaper than from the stealers?

Also glad to hear the coils good.

D`s are the early number. They superseeded into the F`s. If you need some F`s at some point let me know and i`ll see if i can get you some at a very cheap (for brand new originals) ;)

How many can you get at this special price????

Room for 4 more?

Dont everyone jump on it :p

£99.22 inc vat for a set. £140.93 inc vat is normal dealer rate. "Very special rates" only apply to Westy for loyalty points he`s built up :p That price is still 30% discount near enough

I meant other car parts, need a new n75 valve and iat sensor lol.

Just let me know when you want to do it Mark and i`ll do it :)

Dani i could do some bits. Small bits i dont mind. Bigger bits i wont do as i only use the normal work post so aslong as it doesnt take the p1ss size wise i can get away with posting it for free and no one raises any issues with me using it :p

Id be down for tht too if it's ok Jason... Anyone gt any adaptor plates? I'm in need of some coilpacks and this seems better to do then buying normal ones ey?

Id be down for tht too if it's ok Jason... Anyone gt any adaptor plates? I'm in need of some coilpacks and this seems better to do then buying normal ones ey?

There are some being developed...

<tuffty/>

PM me when you`re wanting to do it and i`ll give you the details of the transaction :p