2.0 TDI

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
Just wondered who had got the highest mileage on this engine. Got anywhere near it's first service yet. If the oil consumption drops.

I'm at 6,600 miles and have topped up today, now used 1 ltr of mobil SHC.

Does performance keep getting better / stronger, as I know my Golf did after 10k, 20k etc.

14,000, and it's still using oil, but has slowed down. 1.5 litres overall.

It has loosened up loads since new, but still has much to go. Before I noticed a lot of engine braking in sixth gear. But now it seems to coast a lot more easily which helps the mpg as well.

Don't know whether performance is better has it grows with you. I'll have to ask my father to drive it again and see what he thinks. I think the pick up is faster, but not all that much. 3rd gear is f-ing awesome! 40-80mph in less than 6 seconds. And the sound it makes is pretty damn good as well. Sadly no quieter at idle, though.

[ QUOTE ]
And the sound it makes is pretty damn good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only part i'm a little dissapointed with. The golf 150pd used to be more throaty and growl louder on full chat, deeper on blip of throttle and more turbo / hiss on spool up. The 2.0 tdi seems to be more linear in sound across it's rev range. Part of this lack of character to the sound seems to come from the gearbox ?. Be interested to hear from other DSG owners and manual owners feedback.

Not an expert by any means but had a 2.0 tdi for the weekend (Sprtbk). The noise of the engine was emotional. Put a smile on my face everytime the go pedal went down. Thing is it that I like aout the engine even though it can be heard all the time is it just sounds so capable. Love it. I have even recorded so I can remember the sensations (couple sec click from 50 - 70). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Clip of Speedo Large approx 8mb

just had first service done, at 15,600 miles: it's used 2.5 ltrs. to be fair, it's racked that mileage up in only 6 months, so I don't think the oil consumption is too bad for such heavy workload....

[ QUOTE ]
I have even recorded so I can remember the sensations (10sec click from 50 - 80). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have recorded 60-100 before and swear it's not any more than 10 - 11 secs. I have also measured the speed on known sections of road and it beats my golf 150pd all the time. Yet the test figures printed in mags state otherwise.

To correct myself, it's 35-70mph (2000rpm to 4000rpm). It can only do 75mph in 3rd. Still damn impressive.

Yeah it's more 4th gear that pulls like a train /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

22,000 miles since november 22nd. 1st service at 19,000. Used 2.5 litres. Has loosened up massively - around 10k if I remember correctly. First tank lasted 380 miles, now I always get over 500 to a tank.

Funny about the 150PD Golf - I had one and swore it was quicker than the audi, but I can hit 80mph at a certain marker 400yds off a roundabout near me, where I could only manage 70 in the golf and 70 in a 2003 (150bhp) BMW 320D. Maybe something to do with a broader spread of torque - the golf was very punchy to about 3.5k and then flat as a witches tit.

22000km/13750miles in 3months, and 2 liters of oil. No problems so far, first service after 8000km/5000miles.

jungle,

Thanks, out of interest, how much was your first service ?.

SimonP,

That's some mileage, and service at 5k ?, you mean you dropped the oil out yourself ?.

40000kms/25000 mls Went for the first service already. It costed me here in Portugal about 240 €... not tooo bad

Does everyone agree that all TDI's come from factory with Long -Life oil applied, even if the car can be configured to have normal maintenace or long life (when leaving the audi dealer).
This is what my dealer told me... "my car come with normal maintenance plan (15000 km's) but using long-life oil Shell Ultra X, like all tdi cars).
Can you confirm this information?

There was a thread on here some time ago about servicing costs.

Here

It varies a helluva lot. Can't really understand why. I assume they change the same things between you have done 15k in 6 months or 20k in 24 months. Or do they?

I don't think my dealer said anything about long-life...! I don't know how my car is configured - is there any way to tell?

I think the service indicator on the DIS will tell you - normal serivice period is 12k or 12 months (?), so it should show this less the time/mileage since your last service. Oh, and your service book should say as well if they bothered to compete the PDI properly, and ticked the right box.

Yerh you can tell by when your first service is... long life = approx 19,000. And you should have got a free 1ltr of oil with you car... that'll either be longlife or not!

[ QUOTE ]
jungle,

SimonP,

That's some mileage, and service at 5k ?, you mean you dropped the oil out yourself ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Japper - company car so I haven't got a clue. They did say it was only a 2hour job, so shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred??

Jesus f-ing H!! I've just started ring around for prices on a first service on my TDI. Hitchin Audi have quoted me £303.43!!! WTF?!!!! How on earth did those ooopn north get theirs done for less than £200??

Huntingdon Audi - £185!!! What the hell? I asked him to check, as I told him what the other two were charging. Yep, it's the long life service: oil filter, fuel filter and oil + labour comes to £185.

Hourly rate at my dealer is £82, if it's 2 hours thats £164 + vat straight away, before any 'ancillairies', i.e. £45 for their longlife oil etc.

Accoding to the servicing spreadsheet, a vechile on extended, that's done 20k miles should cost no more than £234, that's at £82 an hour for labour and £9 a litre for the oil.

£86 of that constitutes the 10k service, and £148 the 20k.

Just rang the Cambridge dealer (also Vindis) and they charge £285. Hmm, I wonder whether the Huntingdon dealer did after all get his figures wrong.

Thanks Eeef. I don't mind too much that it is £300, after all I only have to get it done once every 18+ months. What I do mind is if there are large variations between one dealer and the next (especially if in the same group!).

Karcsi,

Reference the link you posted to earlier thread. This was the same as well. I have checked with Audi dealer in Aberdeen and they are quoting £220 inc VAT.

Listers Worcester, £270.

I've spoken to Audi CS and given them these prices and the others mentioned on the other older thread. They are going to have a look and call back (yes, I know, I'm not holding my breath!).

You have to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif joking 80 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif quid an hour. That sounds like quite a lot, is that normal?

Sounds about average. 1 1/2 - 2 hrs labour + parts would come to arond £220 so my local dealer must be charging around this rate.

Makes me even more glad I took fixed maintenance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Expensive maintenance there.. Stockmann here charges about 250e for the normal service, and that's about the most expensive place in Finland to service car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why take it to a dealer? I spoke to Audi customer service and as long as a garage is audi approved and use genuine parts then the warranty will still be covered. Got it in writing as well.

[ QUOTE ]
jungle,

SimonP,

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry for confusing, I meant that first service will be now after 8000km/5000miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why take it to a dealer? I spoke to Audi customer service and as long as a garage is audi approved and use genuine parts then the warranty will still be covered. Got it in writing as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your saving of £100 a service will probably knock £3000 off the price orf the car when it comes to re sale.
I wouldn't even buy a 3 yr old car that did not have main dealer stamps in the book. If maybe the cambelt change had been done elsewhere then fair enough, but if someone has tried to save £50 or £100 on a service it would make me think that they have maybe tried to cut corners elsewhere.

Maybe that is just me??

I have longlife on mine, had first service just before 15K, cost me €400 including new wiper blades.

Next service isn't due til 2007 or 30K+ miles.

Totally different car since it has loosened up. Used to be very tight and I thought a PD130 that I used to drive regularly was quicker but before I got it remapped it certainly felt like it would keep up with a PD130 with 15K on mine by then.

Only thing is lacks over the 1.9 is the economy and a standard 160bhp version.