2.0 tdi won't start

GatsoTerrorist

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2005 2.0 tdi quattro. It's been struggling for about a week. It used to start up but then seem to misfire for a few seconds and there would be a small cloud of white smoke from the exhaust. Afterwards it would run and drive fine. I got in it last night and found it wouldn't start at all. It turns over, just won't fire. Also after trying to start it a few times an oil pressure warning comes on. Is this a common problem that is easily fixed or am I looking at a garage visit?

Thanks

Get the faults scanned is first point of call.

If the VCDS scan does not turn up any fault codes, then it is most likely your battery or starter. Well know issue on the TDI. Suggest you get the battery load-tested, since that costs nothing, or try a new battery......get a good one. Other than that, it may well be the starter. The TDI needs to turnover at a minimum number of RPM during the start cycle, or it won't fuel correctly (resulting in a non-start). You may see some scan fault codes associated with the fueling system. If so, deal with those first. Good luck.

what's the mileage, if it's near or approaching 100k I would deffo check glow plugs...is the glow plug coil light staying on for longer than normal?

Problem diagnosed. Air lock in the fuel line which I find strange. I've been advised to book it in for a check as it may also be leaking diesel. Thanks for all your suggestions though, appreciate your help