1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI WON'T START

lewis1 Oct 18, 2013

1. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Hi, just accidentally started car after sitting 2 weeks in gear and now it wont turn over. Doesn't sound like a battery problem or any faults on dash just wont turn over at all. Cars a 2006 2.0 TDI S Line A3

Any Ideas as need to get it going asap?

2. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

Sounds a bit like one of the following: bad battery,loose battery connections,blown fuses,broken earth strap/loose,seized /faulty starter motor ,faulty relay and blown fuse.

i would jump start first off and then get a multimeter and a mallet for the starter

3. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Its not electrical as left for about 20mins and nearly turned over and fired, then tried again after and sounded like no hope again

4. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

Sounds like the battery or dodgy motor or both to me .

5. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Hmm...it started fine 2 weeks ago just come back from uni, but just sounds as a fuel or air problem maybe?

6. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

If it was turning over constantly but not starting possibly but if it's not turning over I would start with what makes it turn over and as a jump start is an easy way to rule out the battery.

start with the basics to rule them out

7. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Yeh it is turning over constantly just not firing up have a feeling the start in gear did it? want to know if there are any dos or donts as need to get it started tonight! :(

8. Boon

Boon Active Member

Get the battery 'drop tested' my guess is it needs changing

9. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Battery is fine

10. Boon

Boon Active Member

You've had it tested?

Get someone to check the cranking speed with VCDS by unplugging the main loom into the engine, it will struggle to start if less than 280rpm iirc - that would still lead back to battery, starter motor battery leads....

11. lewis1

lewis1 Member

Sorted now, wasn't battery something with fuel problem, was painful but got it firing...lots of smoke involved