1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 Tdi Whine (Cam belt ?)

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by imported_sregorap, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Any thoughts on this appreciated, I have just clocked 2,000 miles on my 2.o tdi S-Line and although it is getting a little quiter there is a definate Whine that sounds very much like an over tight cam belt. I have not driven any other cars with this engine, has anybody heard a similar sound from the 2.0 tdi. Previous car was the 1.9tdi but that did not do this when new.

Cheers
    Tony.R

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DaveACQ20v

DaveACQ20v Member

be very surprised if cambelt was too tight from the factory !

4. ElDingo

ElDingo New Member

Mine whines too.... It does sound like a cam belt whine.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. MattS3

MattS3 Active Member

Could it be an idler or tensioner?
    My '97 TDI is very noisy from the belt and it's been diagnosed as an idler - it's been replaced once but has returned. I'm surprised it should be noticeably on a new car though, mine has done 179,000 miles.

6. Quick update, car has been back to the dealer (air bag system failure) and I am assured they all make this noise " its a characteristic of this engine" , must admit two on the forecourt also had the same whine.

Only really noticable at slow speeds, so I guess the cure is easy....

7. a4sline

a4sline Member

Yep, Afraid so.
    The whine at low revs is, as they say, ' a feature not a fault'
    Bit of a bugger though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

Yep, mine does it also. Probably the thing I dislike most about the car.

9. ved789

ved789 Member

Hi.... I am new to these forums but an absolute Audi-nut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My dad is on his 2nd 2.0TDI (1st one being involved in a terrible accident - thats another story- but thank Audi's safety for both my mum and him surving albeit minor injuries), but both the cars had whine at low revs. It is indeed a bit annoying.

Ved