2.0 TDI turbo upgrade - DSG weak link?

Reaction score
Hi!

I own a 2.0 TDI A3 with DSG6 gearbox.
I have a remap from Superchips and according to the dyno the power is around 184 HP and the torque 415NM.
I would like to go to the next level. Hardware upgrades. I'm thinking on installing a turbine from the 2.5 TDI engines which I understand is plug&play. With a proper made software I could reach ~240HP and close to 500NM.
I'm also thinking to replace the stock intercooler with one from an S3. I've been told though that this could induce more turbo-lag. Is this true?
Do I need to change the intake and the exhaust?

Now the most important part (I think): How will the gearbox handle the power and torque increase? I know there are many cars with more than 400NM of torque (the supposed limit) that run with no problems. Will the clutch disks hold? What about the DMF?
I saw upgrade clutch disks from SSP Performance but no upgrade flywheel for DSG (DMF or SMF).

2,5tdi turbo is not plug and play
bigger intercooler will not increase the lag,actually bigger and longer pipes induce lag
tuner can reduce tourque to safe limits
u dont need to change intake manifold,but exhaust can help to decrease egt and turbo to spool more easy

The user Cipos, you may have read about him on the local board, has replaced the turbo on at least two cars with the same BKD engine as mine and he said it was plug&play. Maybe there are more than one type of 2.5 TDI engines with different turbines.
My main problem is the gearbox. Will it hold?

Well,if Cipos says is plug and play,why are u asking :)?The far us i know,he have a hybrid turbo for mercedes 2,5l,but maybe im wrong,i never talked with this guy.
Like i said,tourque limit is the way.

Last edited:
I'm not asking about the turbine but the rest.
Anyway, torque limit is an option. I'm gonna go to Superchips again to do the software and I think they know how to do it properly.

What about REVO?i think they are better like Superchips.

Reactions: PhatDub
Since I already have a... stage1 from Superchips, it would be cheaper to get a next stage.
Revo is more focused on petrol engines rather than diesel. I've been talking with the local dealer (who sales both brands) and also recommended Superchips.

I know a guy Liviu,hes nickname is @masimo which has the fastest 3,0tdi A5 from RO,at the beginning he used superchips with good results,but now have revo custom map stage 2 and his car is faster like superchips map.He claim revo map is much better like superchips map.

a hybrid 2.0 pdi turbo will produce about 240hp and can be limited to about 500nm (which is what i did) in the tuning map - the dsg gearbox is fine for about 380-400lb/ft so 500nm is well within the limit of the clutches

the hybrid turbo is plug and play, but a decat downpipe will help overcome the later spoolup of the bigger hybrid turbo, and you dont need a bigger intercooler at all

decat downpipe, hybrid new turbo, custom remap, panel filter - £1800-2000 and 240hp/360lbf

a custom dsg gearbox map helps as the standard one tends to drop the revs below the spoolup of the turbo by 200 revs or so, so in standard auto mode it seems a little sluggish - my custom dsg map just changed gears 300rpm later to solve the problem. you can also speed up the gearchanges and change the dsg torque limiter to 500nm to stop the gearbox telling the ecu to back off the torque (this can be dont in the ecu remap, telling it to ignore the dsg signal to back off but its probably safer to leave it in place and adjust the gearbox map)

altgernatively use it in manual mode all the time

A gearbox remap would be nice but here in Ro. only Revo does this and is only for the gearboxes on TFSI engines. They don't do TDI's. I don't know anyone close to me who does TDI's.

Revo are crap. Dont get a generic map get a custom.