2.0 Tdi Started Smoking - BKD

Rom

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im after some help diagnosing my 2004 tdi, which has recently started smoking.
It has just turned 100k, has full history etc.

Ive just managed to get a pretty rubbish video, it hasnt been smoking stationary for me to confirm smoking. One friend said it was blue, another said white.

Whilst driving, it seems to smoke most on light to medium throttle, at lower rpms. Usually around 1500-2000 gives me enough see it through the rear screen, which is tinted, so just looks greyish. It wont do it every time I try whilst driving, seems to be more often than not though.
There is no noticable loss of power, no black smoke. If i drive it hard, i cant notice any smoke.

It doesnt smoke on idle or start up. The coolant level hasnt moved. So i dont think its the usual BKD head problem. It hasnt used any noticable amount of oil either.

Ive hopefully included a data log from VCDS. Which ill be honest, ive not used much for logging. But it looks like injectors 1 and 2 are fuelling differently than 3 and 4. Not sure which way Audi list them, at work - means its over fuelling, compensating for the others underfuelling.

Log file LOG-01-017-042-052-105-118-13F.CSV

[video]http://s692.photobucket.com/user/RomMi16/media/20130624_184248_zpsbfa6d882.mp4.html#sthash.C0727t ND.hpvt[/video]

mine was smoking exactly like you described and it turned out to be the turbo leaking oil through, but never the less its probably worse case scenario for you

I'm not too fussed what it is really. Just can't afford to mis diagnose it.
It's one thing changing the Turbo, it's another changing it after I've tried 5 other things :)

are you positive its not moisture?
after short trips mine shows vapour

Before a verdict you should do a few things:
- check the oil level for variations - over a week, to be sure
- check the coolant level - the same as the oil
- try to make a video while driving and the engine warm - ask someone to drive behind you and record you while flooring it

If the oil level drops, the turbine may be faulty (this happened to me). If the coolant level drops and the oil level does not rise, than it may be the EGR cooler (this also happened to me). If the coolant drops and the oil rises, its tragic - most likely he cylinder head is cracked.

Blue smoke - you're burning oil escaping from the turbo
White smoke - you're loosing coolant - this also has a sweet smel from the antifreeze

It's never used oil or coolant. Never topped up oil or coolant since I replaced them when I got the car.
Did another oil change about a month ago.
Checked levels at the weekend, and nothing missing so far.

White smoke can also be diesel related, when it's not burning properly. This smoke usuallly smells and stings your eyes.

I'll try and borrow a go pro and get it on the rear bumper.

I can do whatever repair it needs, just don't want to get it wrong and waste money replacing the wrong part.

Coolant in header is still pink, no oil or gas contamination.

For some reason I can't open either of your links (stupid works computers), but from the description alone it sounded like what I had on my old BKD.
It turned out to be one of 3 things below that happened all at once.

If my oil was over 3/4 full it caused it to smoke, so check your oil isn't too full. But if you know it's not losing oil then you've probably been keeping an eye on it anyway.

I'd just filled up with a tank of Shell V Power Diesel when it started, so it could've been a bad tank of fuel according to some peoples suggestions on here.

I'd also just added some Millers Diesel Treatment, which was about 18 months to 2 years old and according to Millers may have gone off. They said that the treatment (and all modern diesel fuels) contained a certain amount of bio-oil that absorbs moisture and goes bad over time.

I changed all the above things at the same time and it solved my bluey-white smoke issue. I'm not saying any of these things are necessarily the same problem you've got, but they're worth checking and cheaply sorted.

I have the same issue can any1 help please

Before jumping to conclusions, check your MAF, change the air & fuel filters, & clean the EGR. Had similar issues with mine, all resolved by dealing with the above.