2.0 TDI ran out of fuel

s3reptdi

Reaction score
Before you say you should let it get below a quarter of a tank my finances are very tight at the minute, what's the procedure to bleed the air out? I have vagcom, I've filled the fuel filter housing right up but no joy, took the rocker cover off but doesn't look like the injectors can be cracked open?
please help!

You should just churn it over and it will start in a minute or so.

According to the handbook!:drag:

Dont need to do anything just put fuel in and turn key until it starts happened to my van once minor mishap

as above crank till it starts

Happened to me (well the mrs) she just got to petrol station when it stopped, she put diesel in but it wouldn't start.
AA came and manually bled the air out.

Sorry I cant be more specific or know what they did exactly, I wasn't there at the time.

most modern dervs just need lots of cranking, problem is if your battery isn't capable you;ll need a tow or jump start

Always thought you had to drip start a diesel

All sorted now thanks for the advice, it drained my battery pack and took loads of cranking from a van, started to worry when it started coming up with oil pressure on the DIS

For common rail diesel this is not good advice due to much higher fuel pressures you can damage the fuel pump, need to enter VCDS to activate the fuel pump to prime the system. On older PD systems then just turning over till it starts is the normal procedure and hope enough juice in battery.

Omg I'm gonna be more careful, didn't know I could cause myself unnecessary ball ache. I've cut it close quite a few times driving around with the DIS reading 0 miles.