2.0 tdi quattro MPG issues/worries

latta1989

Reaction score
Hi i have owned my 2006 2.0 tdi quattro 140 bhp for just over one month now and have noticed that i have not been getting as many miles from a tank as i'd have hoped.
Normal driving, normal mix of urban, motorway driving etc.
Kept an eye on the last couple of times i have filled up and i have only got 430 and 420 miles from full to pretty much empty.
Funny thing is my trip computer says i have averaged roughly 40 mpg.
If you do the maths, 55l = 12 gallons and a bit, so 40 mpg = 480 miles from a tank at least!!
Something is not right in all this.
Any ideas??
What are other people averaging??
Cheers in advance for responces
Chris

As i said in a previous thread a couple of days ago, under normal driving conditions (city and motorway each day) i average at least 48-50mpg.

was there another thread about this?? sorry didnt see one.
Yeah ino my car is quattro but i still feel i should be getting better then what i am.
if im only getting 430 miles from a tank then im only averaging 35.5 mpg!!!
And im even trying to drive very frugally to see what i can max from a tank.

I dont know if it is anything to do with this issue but i feel the car and engine is overly noisy.
I dont expect it to be quiet as it is a diesel but even compared to my friends 1.9 tdi golf my car sounds like a tractor.
For example if im sitting on the motorway in 6th gear at 70 and i press the accelerator the car sounds like it is struggling more than it should be and it is very noisy.
Like a booming sort of noise almost and there is quite a lot of vibration through the car at the same time!!
i understand you would get this to an extent in any car but i feel there is something not right!!
like there is definately too much noise.

I had same problem with mk5 gti tdi 4 motion which is same car really, the vibration was found to be out of balance prop shaft. Will post link later.

Steve as Statller Sheffield sorted it out for me , as regard mpg we get 40 iish 48 on a run.

Might be worth getting a remap which helps improve mpg.

i thought it might have been a prop issue as the noise kind of runs from just below my gear stick to the back of the car.
I was sitting in the back one day when my dad was driving and the noise was almost deafening!
Wat did you do to get it sorted?

And i wouldnt mind getting 40 mpg like my display says im doing but when i work it out im only getting 35.
both times i filled up the full 55 litres so basically i had burned 55l and only covered 420/430 miles. therefore 35 ish mpg.
not sure whats wrong there.

and also im thinking about a remap eventually too. think the car would be great with one once i sort all this noise stuff out!

What sort of driving are you doing? I barely break into the 20s when doing chores around town, but over 35mpg on the motorway in my 2.0TQ - might make you feel better! Even when I had a diesel, I'd struggle to get above mid 30s around town.

i have a 170 tdi quattro, and round town i only get 32, 33 maybe 35 if i'm lucky. I have tried various driving styles, and have achieved nothing more. On a steady run i've got up to 45 mpg, but to be quite honest i'm a little unhappy with the figures. That said, after hearing about the petrol figures, i think i'll make do. The thing is we keep hearing about what some other make cars can do to the gallon and we expect the same. They're a heavy little car, and with the quattro as well i think they just use more. Let me know if you hear of a better way of getting more mpg.
Hi i have owned my 2006 2.0 tdi quattro 140 bhp for just over one month now and have noticed that i have not been getting as many miles from a tank as i'd have hoped.
Normal driving, normal mix of urban, motorway driving etc.
Kept an eye on the last couple of times i have filled up and i have only got 430 and 420 miles from full to pretty much empty.
Funny thing is my trip computer says i have averaged roughly 40 mpg.
If you do the maths, 55l = 12 gallons and a bit, so 40 mpg = 480 miles from a tank at least!!
Something is not right in all this.
Any ideas??
What are other people averaging??
Cheers in advance for responces
Chris