1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 tdi pd intermitent start issue

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by matt a4s line, Jun 20, 2012.

1. matt a4s line

matt a4s line New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    hi all I am new to the foroum. I have just bought a 2005 a4 s line , I am very happy with the car apart from one small intermitent issue. the car will at times take slightly long to start, say three revoloutions and a slight cough before it fires up. it happens regardless of warm or cold and not all the time only at times. I have checked the battery (which is the orginal so 7 yrs old) for volts when starting sits at around 10v. checked earths etc, diesel supply for leaks. I have no fault codes on the car so I am now at a loss.

I am wondering if it maybe is the nature of these pd engines? coming from a petrol which instantly starts maybe i am expecting too much? i am allowing all the dash lights out before starting..

any ideas anyone???

many thanks
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bizza25

bizza25 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    my battery just went without warning was a tad over 7 year old so if yours has been in 7 too it wouldnt hurt to relpace it. will save you an unexpected breakdown that may cost you a lot more to get sorted. i had no symptoms at all, then one day it was completly flat not even a turn left. you could top the old battery with de ionised water but that is only a temporary solution to a deadening battery. spend £100 or so on a decent sort and you'll have a car thats starting bang on. these cars wont use the glow plugs in this weather so should be noting to do with that. does it tend to start worse after a drive with lights/aircon/radio on ect? how does it start after a drive with none on theseon? have you has it scanned for fault codes?