1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI OVERFILLED OIL!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Sheikh, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Sep 13, 2011]
    Hi all,

Basically in light of my recent limp mode experiences I decided to have a look round the car to look for any boost leaks... only to my horror to find the oil being way past the max mark on the dipstick. So i'm assuming its been like this since it's last service which was 7000 miles ago (Only bought the car 2000 miles ago). So my question is could this be the reason my car's been throwing an overboost code? And what possible damage could this have done?

Regards

Zo
  2. tdi-man

tdi-man Well-Known Member

[Sep 13, 2011]
    do not drive DRAIN OIL to correct level straight away.
  3. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 13, 2011]
    Did you take the oil level when the engine was hot?

Also when you say it was way past the mark how much over was it?
  4. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Sep 13, 2011]
    Might sound like a stupid question but do you check the oil when cold? or after its been started and sat for a while?
  5. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Sep 13, 2011]
    best time to check oil level is when cars been sat overnight on a level surface......!!! or after its been driven,after about an hour....again make sure cars on level ground.
  6. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Sep 14, 2011]
    Zo, be careful to correctly interpret the actual level of oil. The 2.0L TDI dipstick is a disaster design, and gets smeared with oil every time you pull it out. You need to try several times, cleaning the dipstick end each time, until you get a good reading. I accidentally overfilled once, and then had to poke a thin plastic tube down the dipstick hole, and suck out the oil. Well that is better than having to take off the undertray and then having oil all up my arm. Good luck.