1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by P Crr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Oh heck, I am beginning to wonder if I will bother with the A4. I am currently running a 2003 Passat PD130, and am selling that along with the funds I have from selling my A3, to buy the A4 cab, might just stick with the Passat and buy an MX-5 as a toy. I need a tow car for my caravan, and the A4 cab was going to do it for me, as i want to go back to the convertible world, but thinking a tidy mk1 MX-5 will satisfy that urge and the Passat for if the weather is **** or for when I need to tow... Oh what to do!!!!!!!!!!
  2. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    So do I look for a 3.0Tdi instead? Does that have any issues? Seems a manual one is a pig to find for the budget I have.
  3. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Your Passat is a hard car to beat, what mileage is it, saloon, trim level ?
  4. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    I can totally understand your concern about buying a 2.0 tdi. The only way to avoid the sleepless nights worrying about balance shaft failure is to a: buy a cab that's already been upgraded or, b: have the shaft and hex key upgraded asap. I opted for the latter and can both sleep at night and fully enjoy what is still a modern sporty looking 4 seater convertible.

If alas you choose an alternate drop top then perhaps an E46 beemer cab would fill the role. Finding a diesel would be the challenge though.

If you need advice on the balance shaft upgrade then email Ring engineering and they will be happy to explain what's involved. You can contact them via their website.
  5. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Well the cab I like I can probably get for £6.5k at a push, then what are we talking to do the fix? ££s wise? Who are Ring?? (I'm in Leeds btw).

Passat BTW is a 2003 SE in light metallic green. It does what it says on the tin but is a barge of a car if wanting to do anything spirited!! It's done 115k, 1 previous owner etc etc.
  6. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    115k it's still a baby ! Standard 1ba suspension is stupidly soft, even 1be Sport is very compliant.

Depends if it's chain driven, I would assume it was gear driven oil pump just requiring longer hex key and remanf balancer shaft, KMB etc, £225 + surcharge.
  7. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    KMB are in Sheffield I think so not too far from you. They also fit the upgraded shafts and replace the hex key.
  8. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Thanks, I've emailed them for a price. The 3.0 I've seen is £2k more but is lower miles and has the towbar I need already fitted (that's saving £5-600) so is it worth a cheaper car that needs the hex key fix doing plus towbar fitting cost, or borrowing more money for a 3.0 with towbar and accepting more tax, ins and fuel costs... I commute 40 miles a day - but would love the 3.0 performance....
  9. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    And don't forget the sound...

3.0 V6 TDI
  10. tut_gareth

tut_gareth Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Go for the 3.0! Having a 2.0 brd avant Quattro which is great apart from the mpg and touch wood hasn't had any of the issues yet,,,, I still wish I'd got the 3.0
  11. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    Oh such a dilema...!

I'd love the power of the Quattro V6 Tdi, its a 2007, 88,000 miles two previous owners, looks tidy enough - however its £9200 (would push to pay £8500) and has the tow bar I need already fitted. But more to tax, insure, run (40 miles a day commute and tow caravan with it occasionally).

The 2.0tdi is also a 2007 but has Bose and windblocker, but would need £600 spending on it at KMB *(they've replied with price to do the job) and a towbar (£400) but I think I could get the 2.0 for £6500 as it needs tyres soonish and the seller did hint (stupidly) that £6500 was the min he'd take (he's selling privately as he has a new A5 coming on Monday! - again he shouldn't have told me that either!).

Heart or head?! Money situation isn't great either way, so long term think I'd regret the running costs of the 3.0tdi (and having to borrow an extra £1k to buy it on top of what the 2.0 would cost in total).... but does the KMB mod rule out further issues with the 2.0tdi ????
  12. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    Have to agree.......if you can stretch to a 3.0 then I'd go for it. Beside the additional power it'll be far happier when towing. As ever everything comes down to budget and running costs.
  13. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    Bose is awesome , especialy with the roof down. Wind deflector, although a must have for top down motorway driving, can be bought on ebay when you can afford it. KMBs quote is good price for peace of mind motoring.

As for further issues and costs then make sure its got full history (pref Audi) and that cambelt/waterpump has been done. You've already mentioned tyres (?) so check discs and pads have plenty of life. Dual mass flywheels faults are common and expensive so check its all smooth when pulling away.
  14. tut_gareth

tut_gareth Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    My head went with the 2.0 170ps for running costs but at 42mpg against my mates 3.0 getting 40mpg on the same journeys there isn't a lot of difference.....
  15. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    The 2.0Tdi has FASH up to the point this current seller bought it (5 yrs ago) then it's been serviced at someone local that the dealer themselves recommended (best mate of local Audi garage's service manager). It had all new discs and pads recently and cambelt/waterpump at 75,000. It's been very slightly remapped (stage 1?) for better oomph and mpg. Nobody ever sat in the back seats! I spoke at length to the seller the other day and he's a director of a company locally, now I know that doesn't make the car or him any better, but sometimes its about how it feels... I am also happy that it has 4 matching Dunlop tyres - I'm funny about cars that someone has penny pinched and put random nangkang tyres on it... here's the 2.0 :[​IMG]

Anyway, here's the 2.0 :http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408206736517/usedcars?logcode=visc

Here's the 3.0 http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408146609524/usedcars?logcode=visc
  16. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    Ooh !! Both look sweet. Makes me want to go out and put the roof down.

Both good spec. The only thing I would have preferred is the s-tronic box on the 3.0......but that's a personal thing. Don't think you could go wrong with either if they meet your requirements.
  17. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    Did you have yours done at KMB? They've emailed me with a statement saying they've had 100% record in all those that they've sold over the past few years - I'm very keen on the 2.0 and travelling 3hrs tomorrow to go see it(!!).

Anything else I ought to look for??