2.0 TDi Engine management light help

Jonny84

Reaction score
Hey, im new to the site and the world of audi's! Ive recently got myself an a3 sportback 2.0tdi and on monday on the way to work the engine management light came on. Ive done a search of the site and i think it might be a common problem that ive got.
Im a mechanic (for toyota) and have plugged in a snap-on diagnostic machine and got the following codes -

P3102 Motor for intake manifold flap no signal
P3101 Motor for intake manifold flap open or short to ground
P0691 Fan 1 control circuit short to ground

Ive replaced the fuse in the fusebox in the engine bay and checked the fans move freely and arnt jammed and they seem fine. Started her up and the fuse instantly blew again. Does this point to the IMF rather than there being a problem with the fans??

Thanks for any help or advice (hope ive posted this in the right section of the site)
Jon

yes m8 i would say imf flap is jamming and blowing fuse

you may get away with just cleaning it, but its a common problem. Mine had the same codes, and i just changed it on spec, didnt even try and clean it. IMO if its out, whats the point in putting it back, to find out its still u/s. They arnt overly expensive, from memory about £300 odd.

Ok cheers guys, ive also got to fit a new ABS pump as thats also failed (but i bought the car cheaper knowing this) so i may aswell do both jobs at once. Looks like a weekend of work is in order! So its definately not the fans then, would they only throw the light on if they were jammed or the motors seized? (which they arnt)

im not quite sure where the fans fit into this fault if im hounest. the fuse is blowing because the IMF is sticking, so the motor/solonoid, not sure what it will be, is drawing to much current. I dont remeber the fan fault code on mine now i think about it...
maybe some one else can shed some light on that bit for you... :readit:

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

I wouldn't waste your time taking it off and cleaning it, I have just replaced one on my lad's 2004 2.0 TDi Sport and when I opened it up to see what the problem was, some of the teeth had broken off the cog that operates the flap.
This seems to be a common problem with cars around that year, the modified part has been redesigned for that reason.

I picked one up from Euro Car Parts for £211 inc VAT and it took about 1 hour to remove the old one, fit the new part and clear the fault codes.

There are some good tutorials on here if you search for them

im not quite sure where the fans fit into this fault if im hounest. the fuse is blowing because the IMF is sticking, so the motor/solonoid, not sure what it will be, is drawing to much current. I dont remeber the fan fault code on mine now i think about it...
maybe some one else can shed some light on that bit for you... :readit:

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

I can't recall the exact fault codes that came up on my lad's but there where 3 of them, 2 of them refered to the IMF and the other to the fan.

The Air Con "Econ" light was on and fuse F8 kept blowing, replaced the IMF cleared the faults and 2 months later just scanned it again and no faults showing.

EDIT I think these were the fault codes I was getting

19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): No Signal

19557 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Open or Short to Ground

17075 - Fan 1 Control Circuit: Short to GND

I hope this helps

Alan

I think the A/C fans are on the same fuse as the IMF unit

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, you've all been a great help. I assume its not worth getting a genuine IMF from audi? i know it will obviously be more expensive. Are the ones from Euro car parts basically the same thing just not in a box with 'audi' written on it!?

Ok thanks guys, you've all been a great help. I assume its not worth getting a genuine IMF from audi? i know it will obviously be more expensive. Are the ones from Euro car parts basically the same thing just not in a box with 'audi' written on it!?

They are made by Pierburg, just the same as the genuine Audi part is.

Yeah but where is the part listed in there, i've done searches for 'intake falp motor','v157', 'Intake Manifold Flap' and none of them return any results.

Sorry if i'm being dull - i'm no mechanic! (but any computer probs inbox me!) :)

Yeah but where is the part listed in there, i've done searches for 'intake falp motor','v157', 'Intake Manifold Flap' and none of them return any results.

Sorry if i'm being dull - i'm no mechanic! (but any computer probs inbox me!) :)

eurocarparts.com search for "throttle body" or part no. 422440260

Alan

Right well ive now got the new IMF, just havnt fitted it yet as ive been working on my rallycar instead! Ive been searching for a tutorial on how to replace the IMF but cant find one (probably not searching in the right places) is it a hard job? Got the day off today so was going to try and sort it out.

cheers
jon

My garage did it in less than half an hour. Thank god esp. when the rate is £36p/h!

It's right at the front behind the radiator, I had a look myself and it just looks like unplugging a couple of senors and hoses. Though what would I know?!

Right well ive now got the new IMF, just havnt fitted it yet as ive been working on my rallycar instead! Ive been searching for a tutorial on how to replace the IMF but cant find one (probably not searching in the right places) is it a hard job? Got the day off today so was going to try and sort it out.

cheers
jon

I followed the tutorial / thread on this forum some good photos on page 2 off memory

Click http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...e-manifold-flap-egr-valve-how-do-i-solve.html