1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI DSG Remap

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Japper, May 1, 2005.

1. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[May 1, 2005]
    Taken from tyresmoke, for reference to anyone still looking into this remap on DSG equipped cars.

I have been reading this forum for some months now while I waited for my car to arrive to try to find someone who had DSG and had remapped their TDi. There seemed to be quite a few questions over the gearbox and warranty and it didn't seem like many people had done it yet.

So being bored one day, rather than wait to see the results on other peoples cars, I thought I would risk life, limb and (more importantly) my gearbox and get it done. So I did and I thought I would share in case anyone else is thinking of getting it done.

After a chat with Superchips (who really didn't seem too sure what a DSG box was all about), AMD (who refused to warranty the box) and Oettinger (via RSD) I opted to go with the Oettinger route. They don't offer the highest power, but they will match the full Audi warranty, i.e. if my gearbox is found on the M1 some 500 yards behind my car in 2 and a half years time, I am still OK.

I travelled down to RSD on Tuesday and was left hanging around for nearly 3 hours before they even got the job underway, but once started it was all sorted in an hour or so.

Now to the interesting bit - is it any different? Yes. Yes and a whole bucket load more yes. It has taken the car from a sound, sensible car that was in its own right a reasonable performer to something pretty quick. Overtaking is now pretty sensational and the pull up to 100mph (and past, if you have the inclination) is excellent. The DSG box really comes into its own as pulling from say 50mph to 80 or 90mph while overtaking, on most manual cars you have a gear change in the middle of that manoeuvre. Of course, you still do in the DSG, but you don't feel it - the delivery of power feels constant and it really pulls hard.

Fuel economy? Tricky one - with only 1800 miles on the clock, it is still getting better with each tank, but if you take it steady the remap does seem to have slightly improved the economy (1-2 mpg at most, I would have thought). Only problem is, if you put your foot down much, the fuel economy is (obviously, I suppose) quite a bit worse than pre-remap. I guess it all depends on your driving style. Driving normally, I am not really seeing much difference.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. ahuntley

ahuntley New Member

[May 1, 2005]
    Japper - can you point me in the direction of contact details for them website, address etc and silly question really but did it dent your insurance too much . . .
  4. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[May 1, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Japper - can you point me in the direction of contact details for them website, address etc and silly question really but did it dent your insurance too much . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

ahuntley, it's not me that's had it done. I took this post from a member over on tyresmoke. I think price is around £595 but could be wrong, and I can't comment on insurance premium hike.

Link for RSD:
    http://www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk/
  5. Giblet

Giblet Member

[May 1, 2005]
    Hi,

I work with the guy who's had the remap. I don't think he visits here so I'll answer for him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure he won't mind me saying his insurance went from 600ish to 900ish, but he does have something like 6 or 9 points on his licence! I think he's 26.

I've driven his car before and after the remap and it does indeed seem quite nippy, enough to worry my 3.2 in-gear times but certainly not off the line until the turbo kicks in.

While I'm here, just to let you know I'm changing my 3.2 for a Sportback TDI! Mainly due to running costs but I'm also a family man now so 5 doors and a bigger boot will be handy.

To ease the pain the TDI is spec'd up to the eyeballs inc SatNav etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  6. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[May 2, 2005]
    Join the club Gareth, their have been a few migrating from the 3.2 to the TDi.

And i will be one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif