2.0 Tdi Dpf Thoughts And A Surprise Fix

888dee

Reaction score
So I've had my 06 A4 2.0 tdi 170 quattro for about 6 weeks and really getting to know the car now...

been having the DPF light come on about weekly, fuel consumption is only what I would call ok, getting occasional smoke under the bonnet from oil hitting the exhaust/turbo.

Couldn't get the DPF to regen by driving as it should.

Also, occasional waste gate chatter....

So looked at DPF deletes, remaps, piggy back chip tuning all that sort of thing but speaking to a mate yesterday he points out (pretty obviously in hindsight) the DPF isn't the problem, it's a passive thing only catching the crap that goes down the exhaust... so the conclusion has to be there's something not right before the DPF....

So a long story short, figuring out the common theme of all the effected systems, the vac, again another long story short, what ever it is in the cam cover that has a vac pipe on it wasn't holding vac so I've blanked it off and....

Waste gate chatter has gone,
Found a load of low rpm boost that wasn't there before,
DPF light went off after only 4 miles at 2700rpm,
"range" has been climbing despite using the car,

So suggest to keep this in mind when fault finding your 16v TDi's :)

Can you post a pic of what you blanked?

cheers

Good to see a quick fix for this as deleting the DPF is a pain but is only done as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted and multiple forced regens have failed and VCDS confirms.