1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI 170 / Head Gasket Advice

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dean_watford, Mar 1, 2012.

1. dean_watford

dean_watford Member

Hi,

Just wanted some quick advice from anyone who has had a head gasket fail on the 2.0 TDI 170 engine. My brother has a Golf GT 170 and was about to get it mapped when the mechanic noticed oil on the undertray. (He wanted to map to remove the DPF as this is also failing)

The mechanic has since traced this to a leak from the head gasket - quote for fix is £700. The car is a 56 plate with 17,000 miles on it.

Just after some advice really -

Is this common?
    If the repair is done to a good std is there any reason it woudl fail again?
    If you had a Head Gasket done would it put you off mapping the car?

Thanks anyone!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AidenUK

AidenUK Well-Known Member

Oil on the under tray so the guy says the head gasket has gone?

I find that very hard to believe, if your head goes you lose coolant and you'll see mayo type substance on the end of the dipstick as the oil and the water is mixing.

You have an oil leak somewhere, have you checked around the oil filter? Loose piping? You didn't mention what colour the oil was? Is it actually black or like mayo? Does he know where the oil is coming from?

Do not ***** £700 on a new head gasket!

4. dean_watford

dean_watford Member

This was what i said to my brother - although the gasket obviously seperates water, oil and gases. It is possible for a gasket to split between an oil component and the outer seal but that seems very rare....

....the mechanic also said that this was common on these engines - which again made me think a second opinion was called for.

5. AidenUK

AidenUK Well-Known Member

Get a second opinion from another garage then mate. I've never heard of a 170 head gasket going, usually if it was that common it would be all over the site just like the PD140 turbo issues.

Get it into another mechanic and say that all you know is it's leaking oil, don't mention the gasket and see what diagnosis you get from them.