1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 TDI 140 issue on long journeys

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by B17AVM, Dec 1, 2011.

1. B17AVM

B17AVM The Whoa

[Dec 1, 2011]
    Hey,

Wondering if someone could help. I have a mate with an Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140 and its starting having an issue on long journeys only.

At roughly 80-90mph in 6th, the accelerator pedal goes to the floor, car slows down and uses about 50 miles of the range within a few mins. Turning the engine off and back on seems to resolve the issue until the next time.

Engine management states over boost and limph mode. They've had all the pipes etc checked.

Any clues? First thought was boost pipe.....

Cheers. Peace.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Dec 1, 2011]
    Same problem i have! It's the vanes in the turbo sticking, basically probably needs a new/refurbed turbo! I've learnt to drive around it though, i just dont put my foot to the floor in 6th :happy:
  4. J8TT X

J8TT X Member

[Dec 1, 2011]
    If the pipes are all ok then its a new turbo mate

Happened to me..:crying:
  5. Graham89

Graham89 Derv Perv

[Dec 1, 2011]
    turbo vanes definitely
  6. Elgy

Elgy Member

[Dec 3, 2011]
    Seeing this thread does not please me. Mine did this for the first time yesterday after driving for about 3 hours!
  7. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Dec 3, 2011]
    Mine did it for the first time on a trip back from Birmingham, it was just a sudden loss of power. Turned it off and on again and it was fine! Seems to only do it when booting it in 6th or getting to the red line in 5th. I've thrashed it in every other gear and it seems to be fine!
  8. Elgy

Elgy Member

[Dec 3, 2011]
    Oh dear!!! Sounds more and more like what happened to me. I don't know about the full throttle bit though as the other half was driving, and it was switched off when we pulled over, so I could see what was happened (Me being the master technician and all, I had to see for myself).

Sounds like it'll be a very expensive issue just before xmas!!!
  9. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Dec 3, 2011]
    If its overboosting, you shouldnt be driving it until finding the issue, because if the turbo pops, the mess is allot worse than removing & cleaning/changing, trust me, been there myself, cleaning out the IC, exhaust, cat, piping, IMF, intake mani, real pig of a job.