1st Official 8V RS3 shots

I'm underwhelmed by this. Was really expecting it to have wider arches and stand apart from the S3.

Surely it should have 400hp too so it really sits apart from the S3 including the remapped versions?? Makes you wonder why they didn't just put a mapped version of the 2.0T engine in there for it's 360hp.

400hp would have set a new bar, whereas with 360hp it just makes it look like it's playing catch up with with others like the AMG A45.

Such a shame as it could have been great...

Reactions: Pulp84
In Nardo with matte black rims maybe. But those press pics look like a visit to Halfords to be honest, just dont get the Quattro grill, shocking. The back view is nice. I was hanging on for the RS3 but pleased I have ordered my S3 now. Definately made the right choice and saved a lot of money compared to this. Hopefully they will do a saloon as this may look better.

Reactions: Louay
Looking at the price of the TTS I cant see it starting at £40K.

In Nardo with matte black rims maybe. But those press pics look like a visit to Halfords to be honest, just dont get the Quattro grill, shocking. The back view is nice. I was hanging on for the RS3 but pleased I have ordered my S3 now. Definately made the right choice and saved a lot of money compared to this. Hopefully they will do a saloon as this may look better.

I agree that the New RS3 would looks loads better in Nardo, but certainly not with Black/Dark Rims!!:disgust:

Golf 400 it is then ;)

I don't think the colour does the car any favours. Audi need to ensure that cars like the RS3 are available in colours that can only be ordered on RS models (with the option to pick colours from the rest of the range).

Good bits (for me)
The alloy wheels - quite like them
Its a hatch with five doors and roof rails
Twin exhausts
The engine
The interior (in particular the steering wheel)

Bad bits
The front and rear diffusers
The wing mirrors - should be all silver
The quattro badge on the front

I don't like the red bits in the air vents either! Very chavtastic

The mirrors can be sprayed or wrapped though, and I prefer the exhaust n diffuser of the s3

Tbh I just prefer the s3 full stop!

I can see people fitting the buckets and ceramics to s3's and saving a fair wedge over buying a rs3

Reactions: Louay
I'm underwhelmed by this. Was really expecting it to have wider arches and stand apart from the S3.

Surely it should have 400hp too so it really sits apart from the S3 including the remapped versions?? Makes you wonder why they didn't just put a mapped version of the 2.0T engine in there for it's 360hp.

400hp would have set a new bar, whereas with 360hp it just makes it look like it's playing catch up with with others like the AMG A45.

Such a shame as it could have been great...

agree 100%, the 2.0t easily makes the same power, is lighter and better MPG....
The 2.5t should of been 400bhp+ i am baffled by Audis decision to even bother making this???

makes me wonder, should of downsized it to a 5 cylinder 2 litre..... win-win

The 2.5t should of been 400bhp+ i am baffled by Audis decision to even bother making this???

But it's too heavy.............

Reactions: veeeight
Love the S3 owners saying they'd rather their S3 over the RS3.
Must love my purchase, must love my purchase, repeat, repeat.

Will be better than the S3, despite still using Haldex (sounds like an improved version with more available, more often to the rear which will definitely make it a touch more exciting to drive), and it will have far better suspension set up, hopefully with some life thrown into the steering.

Nevertheless, not for me.

Reactions: TerryCTR

Will be better than the S3, despite still using Haldex (sounds like an improved version with more available, more often to the rear which will definitely make it a touch more exciting to drive), and it will have far better suspension set up, hopefully with some life thrown into the steering.

What if I Said my view is neutral as I don't own a s3 but I think the looks are quite plain maybe its down to the colour or maybe everyone just expected more! I like the rs3 as a car BUT the air vents are horrid and them wheels too. I dislike the rear diffuser and the exhausts! What I do like is the fact haldex has clearly had an overhaul I like the ceramic option and the buckets
I also like the 2.5t engine

BUT

This car is going to be £40k upwards compared to an s3 that can be had for 29k (with discounts) I'd rather have the s3 looks and exhaust and retrofit the brakes an seats (so 6k all in all) that still brings the car id want to 35k 10k cheaper than a rs3 (with them options) and the haldex will be a calibrated controller so I'm sure you could get one of them for not too much!

So I'd have my ideal car for around 10k less and ok I wouldn't have the 2.5t but so what the s3 with a dtuk box will make the same power

Last edited:
Reactions: Louay, Martinbanshee and pat15312
I'm sure I read somewhere that the upgrades to the Haldex system on the RS3 are purely software based, suggesting that us S3 guys might be able to enjoy that benefit too! :)

Other than the engine and gearbox, which are unquestionably better than the S3's, there aren't any other desirable features that the RS3 has which can't be retrofitted to the S3.

Seriously guys, don't hold your breath about the Haldex Calibration.

Suspension revisions might make it less under steery, but you cannot change the mechanical Haldex layout, so it will never be an over steering monster.

View attachment 46053

I think it will look great in glacier white or sepang blue along with black styling pack! Highly likely be ordering one!

I think this what the S3, should have looked like, rather just an another just s-line with quad tail-pipes.

The RS 3 should have more aggressive body work..

Unimpressed with those pics. I don't think the colour helps either. I also wouldn't buy a sportback.......just my preference. No kids/dogs etc, so pointless for me.
Hopefully it may look better in the flesh.

Comment above about S3 owners 'must love my purchase' is ridiculous.

mmmmm it's not for you either but everyone else is just justifying their purchase, joker

I wouldn't say no to the additional power but I don't like the interior colour changes, I don't like the exterior styling and I prefer the shape of the Saloon...and it'll cost more. Not much to like as far as I'm concerned.
If I just wanted better handling I'd buy the Golf R haha.

I thought I'd be interested, but the styling - both exterior and internal, together with the likely price point for the spec I'd be looking at, doesn't really do it for me based on the published pics and other information so far released.

I really hope I'll change my mind when I see it in the flesh and drive it, so I'll bide my time before making a final judgement.

But the 2.5 5 cylinder lump works in the A3 Clubsport ... ;) :D

Perhaps, perhaps not, when looking for something to go really quick round corners they came up with the TT concept, 420bhp (less I know) but using the two litre four pot engine as a base, just like VW have looked at a version of the same engine for the R400. I did have the numbers for front axle weights for the RS3 and the S3 and the difference was quite substantial. Most performance cars would like to aim for a 50, 50 split for outright balance. In a fore and aft location the 5 cylinder engine is probably ideal.

It was always a complaint of the old RS3 and I'm sure it will continue to be a niggle on the new one as they cant move the engine back in the chassis any. I'm not Jackie Stewart but I found it quite noticeable into sharp bends that the front wanted to push wide.

Check out 3 door and sedan renders:

Audi-RS3-3door2.jpg

Audi-RS3-Sedan2.jpg

As we know, the 3 door is never going to happen... but it's at least comforting to know that it would look VASTLY better than the Sportback.

Reactions: The Challinor
They really need to sort out those wheels, it just doesn't work with the RS3

Reactions: RYuill
I was expecting wide arches and am disappointed that Audi have been a bit lazy in that area. Quite like the styling. Perhaps if (and I imagine they are doing a saloon) that it would have a slightly different front as they have done with the S3 & Sportback.
Sat in the RS4 on Saturday and was impressed but not with perforated leather steering wheel. Everyone has different things they do or don't like and that's just something I don't like. I like my leather steering wheel in my S3 and not a fan of the suede. But again, those arches tho....

See it doesn't look bad head on, anyone find a full rear view with the s3 next to it

See it doesn't look bad head on, anyone find a full rear view with the s3 next to it
& if you have, stick it in here as well ;) :D
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/nice-***-shot-anyone.225651/

It's 62bhp up on it's smaller sibling, what's wrong with that? It's about the going rate IMO.

Yes the S3 can make that power easily enough, but that requires a tune and the RS3 can do the same and retain the gap, so what's your point?!?!

Audi S3 - 1415kg / 296bhp = 209bhp/ton
Audi RS3 - 1520kg / 362bhp = 238bhp/ton
Audi S3 (Tune/box) - 1415kg / 370bhp = 261bhp/ton
Audi RS3 (Tune/box) - 1520kg / 440bhp(??) = 289bhp/ton

Audi S3 seen a jump from 265 to 300ps (8p vs 8v)
Audi RS3 sees a jump of 340 to 367ps (8p vs 8v)

I've been waiting on this car a while now but have to say, first glance, a little disappointing, the wheels are horrid and the colour combo on the press car just doesn't work, the power jump isn't enough and it's still a little heavier than I would have liked. Not really sure I'll be putting my money down on one if I'm being honest. I just cant see the TTRS being released with the same 367ps engine, not when the outgoing + car had the 360ps engine.

My opinions may change when they are released though and I see some better pictures/colour combos and of course the price. A good spec RS3 needs to come in at <£45k

Reactions: RYuill
wow looks near identical to my s3 apart from the stupid ugly alloy bits of the diffusers and the wheels

my s3 8v is misano red and has alloy roof bars

2nd pic looks better with the colour coded diffuser

Max output numbers don't really tell the whole story. The 5 cylinder is going to have a lot more low / midrange torque / less turbo lag.

The is no way it was going to be 400+ HP, you have to be realistic, the RS3 has to fit within the RS range. I would imagine an RS3 plus sedan is on the way, with that Audi are not going to make it quicker than the next gen RS4 / RS5, and the next gen RS4 and RS5 won't be quicker than the current RS6.

People are being very quick to criticise, no one has even drive one yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3 AD, Scotty2011 and Tony1982
The is no way it was going to be 400+ HP, you have to be realistic, the RS3 has to fit within the RS range. Audi are not going to make it quicker than the next gen RS4 / RS5, and the next gen RS4 and RS5 won't be quicker than the current RS6.

Finally some sense! It's like people were expecting a completely new car all together, I can't believe people are slating the colour like there won't be any other colours available, and the wheels, like the ability to get different wheels more to a particular liking is not possible.

Reactions: DeanTTaylor
Max output numbers don't really tell the whole story. The 5 cylinder is going to have a lot more low / midrange torque / less turbo lag.

The is no way it was going to be 400+ HP, you have to be realistic, the RS3 has to fit within the RS range. I would imagine an RS3 plus sedan is on the way, with that Audi are not going to make it quicker than the next gen RS4 / RS5, and the next gen RS4 and RS5 won't be quicker than the current RS6.

People are being very quick to criticise, no one has even drive one yet.

Not quite strictly true.

The TTRS was quicker than the RS4/RS5/RS6 and R8 V8, the only car to better the performance of the TTRS was the V10 R8 flagship.

Although the V10 R8 S-Tronic + is currently Audi's flagship model, the new RS6/7 appear to be the quickest out the line up. Until they put turbos in the RS4/RS5 then they are are going to be outperformed by the lower powered RS3/TTRS.

The power upgrade from 340 to 367ps is not enough especially when you consider the outgoing TTRS+ model had 360ps. The new TTRS needs to be approaching 400.

Then there's talk of the Golf R 400, where exactly does that fit in with the VAG lineup? Concept car? From what I've been reading, it looks like it's been approved for production.

Not quite strictly true.

The TTRS was quicker than the RS4/RS5/RS6 and R8 V8, the only car to better the performance of the TTRS was the V10 R8 flagship.

Although the V10 R8 S-Tronic + is currently Audi's flagship model, the new RS6/7 appear to be the quickest out the line up. Until they put turbos in the RS4/RS5 then they are are going to be outperformed by the lower powered RS3/TTRS.

The power upgrade from 340 to 367ps is not enough especially when you consider the outgoing TTRS+ model had 360ps. The new TTRS needs to be approaching 400.

Then there's talk of the Golf R 400, where exactly does that fit in with the VAG lineup? Concept car? From what I've been reading, it looks like it's been approved for production.

I don't really rate the R8 with RS models, its a totally different league of car. Having said that, the RS6 and RS7 are faster than the TT-RS

When I say they have to fit within the RS range, its not always about 0-100, it can also be about prestige, engine type (some people want a N/A V8 @ 8,000 RPM), body type / size etc, They all exist to fill a niche.

0-100 numbers

R8 V10 3.4
R8 V8 4.5

RS7 3.9
RS6 3.9
TT-RS 4.1
RS3 4.3

Remember these two are the last of the naturally aspirated engines
RS5 4.5
RS4 4.7

You can bet when the A4 and A5 are replaced next year, the new RS4 and RS5 will do the 0-100 in around 4.1 seconds.

It's irrelevant that the outgoing TT-RS had 360ps, the old RS3 had 340ps, so the new RS3 is a decent upgrade on that. Look at the power levels on the RS-Q3, just because an engine is capable of 400hp, does't mean it will get it. Audi will position it in the range.

Even though Audi are part of VAG, they still compete with VW. The golf 400 will be VW's answer to the RS3, AMG A45, and the M2

Last edited: