1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 S3 stereo fitting

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Blackcupraa, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 18, 2013]
    Hi Guys,

As the snow is falling and my diffs sound "weird" in the snow when the car's sliding, i've decided to sit on the icy cool leather for a few hours and fit my newly delivered stereo at the weekend.

Car is a 1999 S3, non-Bose system with the 6 disc changer in the back.

I have bought one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/KENWOOD-KDC...5ALU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358535087&sr=8-2 and also one of these - T1 Audio Audi A3 Facia Pack - Audi A3 2000 - 2003: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Is this all I need to connect the stereo to the car and make it "work"? I'll also be plugging my iPod to the H/U via the glovebox (Dremmel at the ready).

I have read there is an issue when fitting aftermarket H/Us to my car as the rear speakers are amplified via a rear amp and the fronts by the H/U, is this correct? If so how do I get them all to fire from the H/U?

All responses greatly received. :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. Blackcupraa

[Jan 22, 2013]
    Anybody? Didn't manage to get to it this weekend, Coffee and sette were far too tempting!
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 22, 2013]
    PC9-404 will get the HU connected to the rear/sub amp, or you need to rewire the rears directly to the HU.
    You'll also need an aerial amp adapter and you probably won't have a switched live on the Audi loom. You can wire both 12v feeds (yellow and red) on the Kenwood to the permanent live on the Audi loom and switch the HU on/off manually or wire in a proper accessory feed from the fusebox (fuse Radio S-Kont)
  5. Blackcupraa

[Jan 22, 2013]
    I have the aerial adaptor as part of the kit I linked.

I also understand I can swap the red and yellow around as a temporary fix for the switched live, so yellow into red and vice versa but I would have to manually switch the stereo on/off?

Re: The rear speakers, would this be a case of having to feed speaker cabling from the rears to the new h/u and connect them to the blocks, or is there some other work around?

Apologies for the q's but Stereos are not my forte, give me a spanner and i'll be happy :)
  6. AndyMac

[Jan 23, 2013]
    You swap the red/yellow on pre-facelift models as Audi wire them back to front. On 2000+ A3's there is no switched live on the ISO power connector, the HU uses the CANBUS to tell it when the ignition is on, so as said, you would have to wire them both to the perm live, or wire in an additional feed.
    Yes you would need to rewire the rears if you want them driven directly off the HU, you would still need the 404 adapter to drive the subwoofer.
  7. A38L1.8T

A38L1.8T New Member

[Jan 24, 2013]
    Hi andymac sorry to use this thread for my own question but I've read a lot of threads and posted one myself but had no replies :/ and I'm having some problems with this myself, was just wondering if you know if it is possible to power the standard sub and amp without getting the pc9 adapter and bridge the channels for more juice? Or if I could get an aftermarket amp to power the standard sub. I've seen your stealth sub but I'm a student and can't afford one just yet :(
  8. AndyMac

[Jan 24, 2013]
    No it isn't
    You could use an aftermarket amp if you want to destroy the stock subwoofer. It is a 50w paper cone door speaker, I doubt it is capable of handling anything more than the feeble 50w Nokia amp.
    You could replace it with the more powerful Bose sub (£50-£70 on ebay), but you'd then lose the rear speakers, and you'd need a wiring adapter to link it up. If you are a student why do you need to retain boot space? Just buy a cheap active 10" sub and stick it in the boot
    FU10 FLI 10" Active Sub Subwoofer & Amp Amplifier in Box / Enclosure 800w on eBay!