1999 Audi A6 Windscreen Wiper Problem

Hofmeister

Reaction score
Recently the windscreen wipers have started to malfunction after starting the car first thing in the morning. After much trial and error I discovered that after about 5-10 minutes of full windscreen demist air being applied the wipers kick into life and operate correctly in all modes. 5-10 minutes has now increased to 15 minutes. As the wipers function once warmed up I suspect that the motor and wiper arm are working fine and that therefore seizure is not an issue. Anyone got any ideas.....................perhaps electrical a capacitor maybe, or....................dampness somewhere? Any advice much appreciated. Hofmiester.

When you say malfunction, do you mean they just do not work at all, then suddenly start working after 15 minutes or so, or do you get varying levels of function from the outset?

The splines are reputed to be an area that can get a bit rusted and in need of greasing and most recently in my case, the nut that holds the crank into place became a bit lose and had to be tightened. Until fixed, this caused the wipers to work intermittently, and not at all when conditions were cold.