1999 agu 8l A3 turbo shuts down when reach op temp

ok the gods must have been listening to me .. got hold of a vw/Audi Scantool u281 .. and codes were ..

00529 .. rpm sensor

00532 .. a/t control module relay / ground faulty

rpm sensor is crank sensor .. so that's 103 nzd here ..

hopefully the a/t issue is just bad earth from a/t control module/earth

Last edited:
Reactions: willhutson74
drove to the supermarket and it wouldn't start so waited half hour then come home again and new code found 16706 speed sensor circuit no signal .. so presuming it's crank sensor still

luckily I was just finishing parking when it died in driveway lol

new one ordered 100 bux including shipping to me .. hopefully be all fixed by weekend .. wahoooooo .. will let you know how it goes .. thanks for all your help guys

i have just had the same problem with my s3 it was the crank sensor, there a pain to get to/get off
i got a new one from eurocarparts think it was about £26 with discount code

your problem is most likely the crank sensor IMO. Happened to me a few times in the past. Walk home, return with tow car, magically it starts fine again.
Roadside assistance guy was very pleased with himself when mine did that. Sadly, he then assumed that the '20v' on the engine cover meant it was a VR engine...

Go in from below, remove undertray. The sensor is held in place with one bolt to the block. It has a tight seal with the O-ring, may be difficult to get it out.

The wiring plug is located on a bracket under the intake manifold.

undertray?

and you're sure it's by front of engine by bumper not rear by trans ?

the 2 videos I found with A3 1.8t on YouTube all showed going in from radiator overflow bottle and removing some heat shield

undertray?

The plastic piece extending backwards under the engine, from the back of the bumper.

and you're sure it's by front of engine by bumper not rear by trans ?
the 2 videos I found with A3 1.8t on YouTube all showed going in from radiator overflow bottle and removing some heat shield

That's where mine was, but feel free to look elsewhere if you suspect your AGU engine is different...

its at the front but its hidden behind two plastic flexi pipes that go to the air pump at the front.
20170616 151158
remove the solid boost pipe the connects the two intercoolers together
unclip the plastic flexi pipes that go to the air pump and thread them out the way
then remove the 3 x 10mm nuts that hold the air pump in place and push it to one side(this will give you just that little bit more room)

you should be able to see it now, if its really stuck get a screw driver and hammer and hit it between the block and sensor that's the only way i could get mine out. if you score the block don't worry to much as it seals on a o-ring internally

wahoo .. success .. what a ******* mission lol .. boy oh boy are they in tight .. plus that stupid plug position!!!! .. my plate infront and above just stripped when I tried to Allen key it off so had to fiddle around like hell .. 30 minutes all up including g running to 90 and above with no cutting out and started immediately again ... phew !!!