1999 A6 Avant 2.5 TDI Economy

BobA6

Reaction score
I finally got my car from the garage just over a week and a half ago, all of the issues were fixed i am pleased to say. After doing 275 miles I was curious about my fuel economy so I filled up at the station, whoaaaa £69 worth of fuel. I calculated that I was only getting 23MPG. Not best pleased with this economy esp in the current fuel climate.

I had noticed a lack of power when going above 2000rpm, I could also hear air blowing under the bonnet. With the help of my father in law revving, I noticed the hose clip from the hose that comes from the turbo to the plastic pipe on the driver side of the engine was moving about loose. There was also some oil mist all over the plastic pipe, ****** garages these days I thought considering no one else had ever worked on the car. I tightened up the clip and the clip at the other end, took it out for a spin :yahoo:. The difference is night and day, this is the car I thought i had bought....

Am I right in thinking that this would account for the poor fuel economy, I believe that this would upset the mixture quite a bit causing overfuelling?

Yup. Any air leaks between the MAF (just before the turbo) and the cylinder heads will confuse the computer.

As a target for you, the best I've achieved from my '99 A6 Avant 2.5 TDI Tiptronic Quattro has been 611 miles on one tank of fuel, at an average of 41.5mpg. :)
That was 90% motorway cruising at 60mph though so I doubt I'll ever get better. :(

Thanks for the reply, you have set my mind at ease. I am noticing a difference to be honest, I have done 84 miles and I am still above the full. I doubt i'll get anywhere near 600 out of a tank, mostly stop and go roads.

I bought a new set of wheels today, wow what a difference in appearance. 18" RS4 stlye wheels, too bad the insurance fleeced another £80 to cover me with them.