1998 audi a3 1.8t, misfiring problem

a3phil

A3,s are the beasts
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need urgent help, my car started to misfire a couple off week back after taking it to the garage they explained that it was the number 3 coil pack which had gone, to save on expense i bought a brand new one from audi dealers and fitted it myself, after starting the car up i was shocked to notice my car was still missfiring, so to test the spark plug i swapped over from the one next to it and was still misfiring on 3, next i swapped over number 1 coil pack with number 3 and again misfiring still on number 3, so now i realise that it isnt the coil pack nor the spark plug, does anyone know what else it could be, or has anyone suffered the same problem,
any help or advise would be much apreciated
thanks
Phil

Yeah i checked all the other coil packs and they are fine, somehow its just the number 3 pack, its as though no signal is getting to the coilpack to activate and spark.

Check the wires from the coil pack,running along the cam cover,they are well known for cracking,and causing this problem.

If that doesn't work it might be the ignition control module. IIRC these were present on earlier 1.8t engines and control the signals to each of the coilpacks. I think RichA3Turbo had this issue and reported it in a thread on here (ages ago though). A search may turn it up.

Yup, I'd say ignition control model, Beru replacement is 90GBP. My problem hasnt come back and I had the same fault, same cylinder misfiring no matter which coilpack.