1998 A3 8l Auto gearbox change to neutral with it self??! help

aalsawad

Reaction score
Hi every one,

My first post :happy:

I have 1998 A3 8L AGN, when drive at morning and stop on traffic signal the gearbox change from drive to Neutral mode or it go to no gear by it self, even if I don't touch the shifter it keep changing from (D to N and N to D). I have to give more fuel to make it drive normally, after 10 minute driving the car get normal just like nothing happened before??!:huh:

I scanned the car with vag-com but it give me no fault on transmission at all the only fault I got is: 00515 - Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)30-00- Open or Short to B+

Do you think it can be the reason??

Cheers

Perhaps the car knows there is a problem with the sensor and has decided to take it out of gear to sae itself. I would get the sensor sorted anyway - it needs doing even if its not the cause.

Also has the oil been changed in it recently? I know on other autos, low oil can cause shifting issues.

Haha do you think the car can think about such things?? :blink: I plan to service the car next week and I will see then.
thanks for your advise, but if any one heard about such problem please advise.

cheers

Cars can cut power when there's a problem and the ESP can apply the brakes automaticity so it's a possibility that it can.

90% of the time its, the valve body thats the problem, i have the same car as you a 2000 agn and twice i've had major gearbox issues, replaced the valve body, cleared the error codes with vag and the car drives perfectly afterwards.