1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 A3 1.8T ECU, WHERE IS IT?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by U5m4n, Jan 9, 2004.

1. imported_veccyj

imported_veccyj Guest

First of many posts i hope......I need to find my ECU number, i am told it is located under the panel near the pollen filter, is this correct and do you need to remove the wipers to gain access? What does it look like?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

1. Remove the wipers
    2. Remove the scuttle panel
    3. In the middle you will see a 2 blank plug connected to your ECU
    4. Remove plugs from ECU (at the left hand side of the left plug and the right hand side of the right plug there is a locking mechanism which is part of the plug which slides outwards (away from the ECU) which enables you to remove the two plugs.
    5. Remove ECU from holding cage by using a flat headed screw driver to gently lever out the security tab (on the right of the ECU cage) and slide the ECU out towards you.
  3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for that, i was hoping to avoid removing the wipers (pain in the *rse) is it true a vag-com can give you the ecu number?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It is true...
  4. U5m4n

U5m4n New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Opinions please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif Do you think the plates will make my M3 look phat? And once attached could I call it my ride?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst you are thinking of making some changes perhaps a nice mod like this as well?

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice....very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I needed my ecu number and tried that route. For the life of me I couldn't remove the scuttle panel. After red knuckles i managed to lift the panel enough to slide out the ecu. Any tips for next time gratefully received.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the most common way of doing it anyway, lifing the scuttle and then blocking it.

You need to make sure that the scuttle is reseated properly otherwise you may suffer from wind noise inside the cabin.
  6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I needed my ecu number and tried that route. For the life of me I couldn't remove the scuttle panel. After red knuckles i managed to lift the panel enough to slide out the ecu. Any tips for next time gratefully received.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Could you get the scuttle panel off the windscreen?

Best way to do it is start from one off the corners and work your way along pulling away from the windscreen. Once it's loose, just turn it clockwise 90 degrees to gain access instead on disconnecting the washer jets.