1997 tdi 110. want more power

mtaylor55

Reaction score
OK, I've just bought a 1997 A4 1.9tdi quattro Avant with a 110hp AFN engine.

Are there any chips out there that people would recommend?
What kind of power/torque increase could I expect?

I have my 1998 A4 TDI 110hp Re-mapped at the Chipped Uk day on sunday and i have to say i was very impressed, car went on the rollers initialy at 92hp and around 130ft/lbs ish and after the new chip and some error codes removed from the ECU i got 145.8hp and 200ft/lbs and the car is soo much nicer to drive, not done many miles since getting it done so we shall see....

I tried a tuning box from e-bay previous and i was not overly impressed to be honest, there was a noticable power increase but nothing major, and fuel consumption did not seem any better, if not a little worse!

I would try and get a proper re-map, although on a car of that age (mine was the same) they have to remove the ECU and solder in a new chip, deffinatly worth the money though.

There were 3 110hp's there on sunday, mine, a 1998 golf that went on at 105hp (don't remember torque) and came off at 148hp and 209ft/lbs and a 2000 toldeo that went on at 101hp (don't remembver torque) and came off at 144hp and 196ft/lbs i think, so we all got similar values....

Hope that helped.

Adam

Thanks for that. What kinda cost was involved, and how is your consumption now.

Thanks

Hi, my dad had an in-line tuning box fitted to his 110bhp Passat by 'the original' AmD back in 1998. I can't remember what the make of it was, but it ended up with approx 140bhp. Since then he's done well over 100k of trouble free miles, and averages somewhere in the low to mid 50's mpg.

Bigman said:
I have my 1998 A4 TDI 110hp Re-mapped at the Chipped Uk day on sunday and i have to say i was very impressed, car went on the rollers initialy at 92hp and around 130ft/lbs ish and after the new chip and some error codes removed from the ECU i got 145.8hp and 200ft/lbs and the car is soo much nicer to drive, not done many miles since getting it done so we shall see....

I tried a tuning box from e-bay previous and i was not overly impressed to be honest, there was a noticable power increase but nothing major, and fuel consumption did not seem any better, if not a little worse!

I would try and get a proper re-map, although on a car of that age (mine was the same) they have to remove the ECU and solder in a new chip, deffinatly worth the money though.

There were 3 110hp's there on sunday, mine, a 1998 golf that went on at 105hp (don't remember torque) and came off at 148hp and 209ft/lbs and a 2000 toldeo that went on at 101hp (don't remembver torque) and came off at 144hp and 196ft/lbs i think, so we all got similar values....

Hope that helped.

Adam

Nice to hear mate, glad you are enjoying the extra power.

Was nice to meet you.

Cheers, Mark

www.starperformance.co.uk in Dysart / Kirkaldy definitely will sort you out, try also www.scotland.superchips.co.uk . Check out all the basics before you start - new air filter, egr cleaned out, vagcom check for faults, timing, 4 wheel alignment and tracking, tyres, and not forgetting the brakes - an extra 45 -50hp can result in you arriving in corners a bit quicker than you've been used to. As you cane the **** out of your new found power the fuel economy will drop but as you get used to it it'll go back to normal or possibly better if you use the extra torque to keep in a higher gear.