1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

190 S-Line Temperature Gauge Fault - Any advice?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by s-line stu, Jul 19, 2008.

1. s-line stu

s-line stu Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    I have recently started having an intermittant fault with the temperature gauge. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and it can be on and off while your driving, one minute it's showing normal temp then you look down again and it's on zero.

It doesn't seem to affect the way the car drives and when it does register it shows normal temp. Any one else had this before, I've heard of it happening on golfs as well.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stu
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[Jul 19, 2008]
    loose or stranded wiring connection to the temp sender on the engine, should be screwed into a pipe junction coming from the radiator to the head...
  4. Marko

Marko Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    Mine has been the same. Sometimes it stays off the scale. Temp sender is ok... VAGCOM proves this. So, where exactly is this wiring on the pipe junction of th radiator? This could be where i need to look? I'm sick of having not temp gauge or one reading 130 when cold!!!

Thanks.
  5. Beef

Beef Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    For the small cost involved, I'd replace it. We had a dickie temp sender on the A2 and I've just had to replace both lambdas which were probably damaged because the engine didn't know what the temperature was and therefore got the mix wrong.

Quick tip - buy some Q12 (Audi antifreeze) when buying the sender. You may loose some when changign it over.

Cheers,

Beef
  6. Y15HAL

Y15HAL Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    make sure the engine is stone cold when doing it though.....ideally first thing in the morning ;)
  7. Marko

Marko Member

[Jul 22, 2008]
    I changed the sender about a year ago and it made no difference. I've checked the engine temp in Vagcom and it's fine. Someone on another forum had this problem and said that you need to change another sensor but would not ellaborate as to what!? Anyone know where the signal comes from for the temp gauge?

Thanks
  8. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[Jul 22, 2008]
    theres 2 sensors, one screwed into the pipework and i think the other one is screwed into the head itself?
  9. s-line stu

s-line stu Member

[Jul 25, 2008]