18inch alloys 245/40/r18 wider than wheel arch! Help!

E

Essential93

Hey guys, now Ive currently got an issue with the width of the alloys that have come with the A3 i've bought. They are 245/40 and are 18inches but whenever I get passengers or anyone sitting in the back, and I turn I hear the rubber actually hitting the wheel arch edge. I stress it isn't rubbing inside the wheel arch, but because the wheels are wide for the car, they hit the edge every time i turn. My guess they've come off an a4 audi. But anyway, what is the best way to go about solving this issue? Buy new alloys? Suspension upgrade? Please do help me, it sucks that I can't take my family about places without it damaging the car.

Sadly the rear arches are tight

Change to 225 tyres, will Deffo help

Although I'm sure Alex got 245 to fit with some camber

So would I have to change the whole alloys or can I just change the tyres on the wheel and it should help? Sorry I'm a newbie at these sorts of things @Sayam

So would I have to change the whole alloys or can I just change the tyres on the wheel and it should help? Sorry I'm a newbie at these sorts of things @Sayam

It's ok don't apologise, no one was born knowing everything

If you look at the inside of the wheel it will be stamped with an offset, will say something like "ET45". I need you to check and post that along with the width of the rim. That will also be stamped on the inside it will say something like "8.5J"

Once I know that we can work out the narrowest tyre that is safe to use on your wheel for its width

Once we know that we can decide if you can just change the tyres or need new wheels

Reactions: Essential93
It's ok don't apologise, no one was born knowing everything

If you look at the inside of the wheel it will be stamped with an offset, will say something like "ET45". I need you to check and post that along with the width of the rim. That will also be stamped on the inside it will say something like "8.5J"

Once I know that we can work out the narrowest tyre that is safe to use on your wheel for its width

Once we know that we can decide if you can just change the tyres or need new wheels

Thanks so much. Okay I shall check to see what it comes up with first thing in the morning. It'll be easier me taking the wheel off and seeing it inside for sure. I shall reply soon with those details soon @Sayam

Reactions: Sayam
You can get these to fit but it's not such an easy job.

Remove the wheel arch liner screw first if you haven't already.

Then you'll need around 2.5 degrees negative camber at the rear to make it fit.

That's fine on a car set up like mine but you may find it a bit less stable.

Next question

Are the fronts ok as these can also rub and hit the arches and then it does get costly as front camber adjustments need adjustable top mounts etc.

You can get these to fit but it's not such an easy job.

Remove the wheel arch liner screw first if you haven't already.

Then you'll need around 2.5 degrees negative camber at the rear to make it fit.

That's fine on a car set up like mine but you may find it a bit less stable.

Next question

Are the fronts ok as these can also rub and hit the arches and then it does get costly as front camber adjustments need adjustable top mounts etc.

@S3Alex Hi there, I actually don't want to have to do adjustments to the camber or anything like that. If it comes to a point where I need to change the wheels IF i can't get these to fit normally, then so be it. I was considering the TTRS alloys, which I understand is a favourite look for most a3 owners.
I want to keep this as standard as possible. The fronts seem fine, they don't rub, its mainly the back that hits down when I have two or three passengers in the back. I just have to go very slow over the speed bumps

Reactions: S3Alex
@Sayam @S3Alex Guys Ive just taken the wheel off and taken a picture of the alloy. It is 8.5j and ET29.
IMG 2289

Ok so on 8.5J you can use a 225 tyre. It will have some stretch but will be ok

So leave the wheels see if u can borrow some 225/40/18 tyres and see if that helps

The offset (ET) is low which means the wheel sticks out more so I can't guarantee it won't rub

A 225 tyre and some camber and removing the arch screw should help loads

@Sayam Okay thank you for the help. Im not sure I want to adjust the camber etc. on the car, as I do want to keep it a nice looking stock without much of the adjustments to make. I'll see to it soon though. Thanks!

OMG, ET29 is too big offset for our cars, especially if you don't want to do much on adjustments and modding. I have ET43 (which is 14mm less than yours,offset wise), tyres are 225 and it rubs an arch screw a bit on full load (full tank and passengers on the back).
In your situation there is no guarantee narrower tyres will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Essential93
OMG, ET29 is too big offset for our cars, especially if you don't want to do much on adjustments and modding. I have ET43 (which is 14mm less than yours,offset wise), tyres are 225 and it rubs an arch screw a bit on full load (full tank and passengers on the back).
In your situation there is no guarantee narrower tyres will help.

Yes after I've done more research into, I need to definitely consider less offset. Gonna get et43 or et45 alloys. Thanks

With an offset of ET29 and an 8.5 inch rim I think you are going to struggle. I bet those are probably off an A5 . Take a picture of the wheel and the amount it actually sticks out of the arch.
Karl.

With an offset of ET29 and an 8.5 inch rim I think you are going to struggle. I bet those are probably off an A5 . Take a picture of the wheel and the amount it actually sticks out of the arch.
Karl.

I believe they are. They do stick out by about 2-3cm.

Yes after I've done more research into, I need to definitely consider less offset. Gonna get et43 or et45 alloys. Thanks
I have ET42 or 43 and it still rubs

Plz don't make the same mistake. Get ET 45 or a higher number and no wider than 8J if possible