18" or 19"

Dobby

Reaction score
will there be a noticeable difference in ride quality? or any other negatives?

Ride quality, BIG difference....slimmer tyre profile,had 2 cars with 19"s RCZ/FN2 Type 2........really bad in the winter

You'll notice the ride quality difference. 19" tyre also a bitmore expensive.

Wheel damage on 19" may be more of a problem with the low profile tyres and alloys. But potholes can ruin almost any tyre and wheel.

I went 19" love them. Cost wasn't a factor and the ride quality was miles ahead of the renault sport Megan's on 19s that I was used to.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have 19" no probs at all and suprisingly at lot more comfortable than my previous A3 black edition.

not bothered about cost, i prefer the look just dont know if i want the ride to be alot harsher... soo worth it or not?

Love my 19s & the car feels more planted
Probably down to the better quality rubber.

I found no discernible difference whatsoever in ride quality between the standard 18s and going to aftermarket 19s. I did go 235/35 rather than 225/35 to keep more tyre wall, which helps, albeit the rolling radius is slightly higher than stock, so there is a minor over read on the speedo.

Just guessing, but I reckon 225/35/19 tyres may give a harsher ride (shorter tyre wall than stock) maybe someone who runs this set up could comment?

You're going with adjustable coilovers anyway, so you'll be in full control of your ride quality.

19s, you know you want to.... :neutral:

For me, tyres play more of a part in ride quality and comfort over 18/19s. For me i hated the standard 18s because of the continentals, worst tyres I've had, noisy and useless in the wet. Ive ran uniroyals and nankangs on my 19s and while the uniroyal was definitely better, the nankangs weren't as bad as most suggest. No good in the wet mind but they serve there purpose for a good price.

For me, tyres play more of a part in ride quality and comfort over 18/19s. For me i hated the standard 18s because of the continentals, worst tyres I've had, noisy and useless in the wet. Ive ran uniroyals and nankangs on my 19s and while the uniroyal was definitely better, the nankangs weren't as bad as most suggest. No good in the wet mind but they serve there purpose for a good price.
soo.. 18s or 19s?

I found no discernible difference whatsoever in ride quality between the standard 18s and going to aftermarket 19s. I did go 235/35 rather than 225/35 to keep more tyre wall, which helps, albeit the rolling radius is slightly higher than stock, so there is a minor over read on the speedo.

Just guessing, but I reckon 225/35/19 tyres may give a harsher ride (shorter tyre wall than stock) maybe someone who runs this set up could comment?

You're going with adjustable coilovers anyway, so you'll be in full control of your ride quality.

so undecided, its just if im going to spend about 2k including tyres dont want to regret it

so undecided, its just if im going to spend about 2k including tyres dont want to regret it

Was never a dilemma for me, I was always going for 19s, and was pleasantly surprised when they were fine. Pretty clear that Dan had a different experience, I can only comment on my own. Maybe Marc's right about tyres being influential? I'm running Goodyear asy 2s, could be they're smoother riding, or maybe I've just got a fatter @rse :laughing:

@Dandanfings - what tyres were you running?

I had this same problem when deciding on alloys. Price wasn't an issue. But after getting loads of peoples opinions I went for 18". Keep more of the handling with smaller tyres and I'd heard that 19's would be more sustainable to tram lining. Not to mention squeaky bum time every time you hit a pothole (wondering if you've curbed them)

I sold my BBS CHR on Uniroyal rainsports , 18s are a better ride , handle better but looks point 19s are a winner for the right wheel.

Reactions: Dandanfings
I sold my BBS CHR on Uniroyal rainsports , 18s are a better ride , handle better but looks point 19s are a winner for the right wheel.
How come you got rid? How was the ride with the 19s

At the end of the day I had this discussion with a nice girl a few yrs ago.. Her comment said the extra inch doesn't help the ride but it looks better...

Reactions: Simon L and Dobby

235/35 19" is the standard config instead. Rolling radius is 1.X% higher than 225/40 18" and that's fine since the speedo reads already 8~10% more than actual speed.

19s and mag ride and no issues with ride