1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" Alloys - tyre width?

arthurfuxake Jan 4, 2010

1. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

I have a spare set of 5 star alloys that I think are 7.5J width. They have 235/45/17 tyres on at the moment, but does anyone know what the MINIMUM width is that I can use? I want to get some winter tyres for them, and the narrower the better.

2. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

I know they're not winter tyres, but look at the table of T1-R tyre sizes at Toyo, they do have the SnowProx952 table too, but less choice in sizes and since you're only using this for reference to make sure you keep the tyre diameter the same, so you don't mess around with the speedo / odometer settings....

edit: please note the "diameter" numbers vary from one make/model of tyre to the next, so these are indicative of the tyre diameters, but NOT guaranteed... I've edited this post with references to the approx widths according to wether I got the number from the T1R table or the SnowProx table (as per links above)... I think par tof the extra diameter might just be the deeper tread on the Snow tyres...

235/45/17's have a 25.4" (T1R table) diameter, so as long as you keep that roughly the same, you should be fine.

I would have said that 205/50/17 would be your best best (25.0" T1R table, 25.3" SnowProx Table), since the profile number (e.g. "40" on yours) is just a ratio relating to the tyre width... so ever step narrower will also reduce the height of the side-wall.

[​IMG]

205mm wide should be fine: I had that on my car when I first got it (205/55/16, 24.8"T1R), the car drove and handled fine, but the speedo was a little out (under read by 8%-10%, should underread by about 3%)... that was becuase nobody had factored in the lower sidewall with the narrower tyres... if you get a 50 profile, yours will keep the same sidewall height.

I now have 235/40/18 on my summer tyres (25.3"T1R) and am getting 215/55/16 for my winter tyres (25.4"SnowProx).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. arthurfuxake

Dankie Lostbok.

My concern with the width is that the 16" audi A4 alloys are only 6.5J, so it's not a problem using a 205 width tyre on them, but the 17" A4 alloys are a 7.5J and I'm not sure that I'd be able to fit a 205 width tyre, I'm sure I read somewhere that 225 was the minimum width with a 7.5J alloy wheel.

I'd be happy to use a 205/50/17 provided it fits on the alloy width wise. the 225/45/17 winter tyres are about £40 a tyre more expensive than the 205/50/17's.

Might be better to swap my spare 17's for a set of 16's and go with 205/55/16 as they are even cheaper.

4. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Biete, Art.

Again, every tyre make is different and some are more width sensitive than others, so you need to make sure with the exact ones that you're buying... I use the Toyo ref tables a lot for tyre fitting info: here's the SnowProx952 table (click the Size and Specs tab) - although I use Toyo Proxes for summer, I'm getting the Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes for my 16's (Vredestein winter tyre brochure)...

The Toyo table states that "205/50R17" SnowProx tyres are recommended for 5.5J-7.5J alloys, with 6.5J being ideal... people going for the "stretch" look seem to take that higher rim size and then add about 1J, so although there won't be masses of rim protection, it should be fine well within specs...

Which tyre brand/model are you going for? Ties in with a thread I had previously.

5. arthurfuxake

Well, I was looking for winter tyres, but I can't find any for 17" with a V speed rating and 97XL load rating for my car unless they're 235 wide and a gazillion pounds each. Even if I went for 16", I cant find V speed and 97XL load rating!