17" alloy wheels

Bradley

Reaction score
I know this is asked all the time, but i have looked and i cannot find the threads.

My question is would a set of 17 inch alloy wheels fit onto my A4 1.8.

They have a 225/45/17 tyres on them. They have been on a TT and a S3, I think they are RS4 alloys.

Please help
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

A3 and TT have the same PCD. The rest have 112mm PCD,

However check if the wheels are multidrilled. This usually means they can fit 100mm and 112mm

What size is best for performance?

what tyres are required for 18" alloys, and do they fit without modification.

how much do a set of 18" tyres cost?

The original wheels are best for performance as the rolling radius is exactly right for the gearbox etc & most bigger wheels do weigh more, however I've had 16's, 17's and now 18's and haven't noticed any difference between them on acceleration. Obviously with bigger wheels you have a lower profile tyre (225/40/18 for 18") so there are some handling benefits. I was worried about a hard ride as a result but again not significant. No mod needed. You can get Goodyear F1's for around £120 per corner, but you do need to shop around.

Don't confuse grip with handling. Wider lower profile tyres will increase grip but can degrade ride and handling and will generally mean that break away on the limit will be more sudden and harder to correct. Breaking distances and acceleration will be greater due to greater rotational mass/circumference. Personally I think 17" are better performance and looks wise. Oversized wheels look a bit too "bling" for my liking.

20" wheels are oversized, 18's are only 1" bigger than the standard S4 swheels so I can't really see how you can call them oversized or "bling". I think you're getting confused on the definition of bling. Bling is a blacked out Chevvy Silverado with 22" chrome spinners and neon lights.
Regarding circumference effecting performance, there is a 2.5mm difference all round which is a set on new tyres in terms of difference, so if you're that strapped for bhp you need to change or mod your car. I agree break away on the limit will be more sudden, but the limit is increased so unless you drive everywhere like Carlos Saintz it is, again, a benefit.
I didn't mean to spark a huge debate here, I'm just saying as someone who has had both 17's & 18's on the same car, 18's look better proportioned with next to no detriment to ride, handling, grip, acceleration or the price of port bellies. It is an opinion (albeit a correct one), if you think 17's are great, then well done. If you could see your A4/S4 with both sizes I'm sure you'd agree with me.

Yes the Silverado is extremely bling. I saw it on TopGear too. I am strapped for bhp but also strapped for cash, stil saving my pennies for that AMD remap. No need to drive like Carlos Saintz in order to experience sudden break away, a wet road will see to that, though you do need the skill of Carlos Saintz to handle it. Each to their own. It'll be a boring world if everyone like the same thing. Nothing like a bit of debate to liven things up a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif