16" wheels on an S3 ?

darko

Reaction score
no im not mad..

seems snow chains are not going to be an option on my 18" wheels so I am going to have to buy some snow tyres instead. 16" snow tyres are much cheaper than 18" so I am thinking about getting some 16" golf steel wheels and fitting snow tyres to them. Anyone know if 16" will clear the brakes ?

I have seen an S3 wearing the same design of 16" winter alloys as I have for my car so possibly they will. I would check before buying though!

They are this design:

2b_1_b.JPG

Interesting - I will check the brake diameter difference between an S3 and 1.8TQ, I think they are the same...

Winter tyres are a far better bet than snow chains in any event. Less faff and no danger of damaging your tyres/alloys/car through loose or flailing chains.

total agree, I offered up some chains on my 18s and alarm bells just started ringing ! I would think you could damage the front wings when on hard lock and hitting a bump or 2. Cant seem to find the brake diameters at the moment to see if 16s will work...

Yes, 16" wheels will clear the brake calipers diameter wise, you will also need wheels which will clear the calipers from the spokes. I was running a set of Mk4 Golf V6 4motion 16" wheels on my S3, whilst having a set of wheels refurbed.

thanks for the info !

going to try to get some bora 16" steel wheels and fit snow tyres to them...

thanks for the warning !

I am hoping to try a 16" steel wheel for size first

I'll post the end result...

[ QUOTE ]
neil.c said:
You have a better chance with steels as the metal does not need to be as thick to acheive the same strength, so you are likely to have more clearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better clearance radially, yes.
But often, the steel wheels will have limited calliper clearance on the oputward side...all to do with the more technical shapes achievable by cast aluminium alloys versus pressed steel.

I've never bothered with chains and we have a house in the high Alps.

I got stopped in February at the bottom of the Julier Pass in a thick blizzard because the police were only letting "capable vehicles" use the pass. Once they'd scoped the quattro badge and the winter tyres they let me continue without any mention of chains.

Maybe stick a set in the boot in order to be on the safe side if you're stopped but I honestly can't imagine you'd ever need to use them.