15Degrees-North S3 turbo Race Car build

15Degrees

Reaction score
Hi Guys

First I would like to say hello. Im new to Audi ownership and as you can tell from the thread title this is a race car project. I hope it's ok to place this thread in here?

Anyway my previous race car was a Clio that I succesfully raced in Track day trophy last year. That build is here:

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

In case your interested to see the level of build I'm going to take this Audi too :)

So the car. It is already a race car and was originally built as a time attack car. It has become untidy and now it has fallen into my hands and needs some of my OCD and care.

So on the cards are full strip and rebuild, paint interior white, engine rebuild, wrap, map and corner weighting ready for racing in March. I took some pics on delivery and have already started stripping it today. Here you go...

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Oh yes I will be racing this in Team Trophy and hope to continue my winning ways :)

Tentative spec is this

2.0 turbo
Spec R custom intercooler
Spec R custom rocker cover to custom condensation system
Garret Turbo
Looks like an A4 manifold
S3 head and I think A4 bottom end forged (need to check this)
Ap water cooled calipers front
Motec ECU
Endurance ally fuel tank with swirl pot
AST shox
Milltek Exhaust
Carbon doors
Carbon boonet
Carbon tailgate

That's a tentative spec before I dig in :) At the moment it's a mess but it wont be for long :)

PS
Im going to need tecnical help as my head is full of Clio and I have to learn this from the ground up. I have already learnt that the turbo is a ***** to get off!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Fantastic 1st post. You will get plenty of help on here. Enjoy the forum.:) x

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Fantastic 1st post. You will get plenty of help on here. Enjoy the forum.:) x

Hi Sandra

I am in Peterborough. This is my youtube channel as I document all my races and will carry that on with this Audi. You can actually see this car in front of me on my silverstone race :) Just after the big crash at the start!

15DegreesN's channel - YouTube

Mark.

PS
This is my mates car, he has now gone a works Seat Cupra. In 2014 we will probably race together in endurance or GT.

Welcome to ASN.

Hope your build goes well and if there is anything I can help with drop me a line.

It's a good car but has a few weak points which I'm sure you must already be aware of.

Backdraft Motorsport are also building an endurance race S3 and have a thread here too.

Mark, i will have a look at your youtube link. I have put a link below for the meets/ events section for local meets. :) x

Smaller (Local) Events

Welcome to ASN.

Hope your build goes well and if there is anything I can help with drop me a line.

It's a good car but has a few weak points which I'm sure you must already be aware of.

Backdraft Motorsport are also building an endurance race S3 and have a thread here too.

Yeh I'm aware of some but if you can give me a list I can compare with mine that would be great. I started to strip it today and its a mess. I want to make this as good a build as My Clio as I like being at the sharp end of the grid now, got a taste for that. the car deserves it too. There are some competitive cars in class A TT this year Ooerrr...

PS
Ill follow your thread avidly :)

Reactions: S3Alex
Yeh I'm aware of some but if you can give me a list I can compare with mine that would be great. I started to strip it today and its a mess. I want to make this as good a build as My Clio as I like being at the sharp end of the grid now, got a taste for that. the car deserves it too. There are some competitive cars in class A TT this year Ooerrr...

PS
Ill follow your thread avidly :)

Likewise , I'll be following your thread!

Have a go through mine when you have time and you'll find a few of the good and bad things.

The gearbox is one weak area as is the suspension but with AST you've got a fine choice.

Choosing the right turbo kit is also important and both Backdraft and myself went with the ATP kit although both Revo and APR are bringing kits to the market.

Mine though has been totally reliable over 20 000 miles running Stg3 and 4 power.

For race use I'd include an oil cooler as well.

Are you allowed water meth for race use?
If so its a very worthwhile addition.

Here are some more pics as I start to learn the quirks of how to strip an Audi quickly. I do like that I can pull the engine out the front, my Clio was an **** for that.

As I said it's a mess and looks like a tree LOL. BUT I love transforming things :) Watch this space..

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Mark...

this will be interesting...
welcome to the forum :D

Nice! Some of the picture are not working for me... Are you running an S3 engine? Because that's not an S3. Also you have the wrong bonnet for that bumper.

Nice! Some of the picture are not working for me... Are you running an S3 engine? Because that's not an S3. Also you have the wrong bonnet for that bumper.

It's not the original bonnet mate. Carbon replacement bonnet from the spec list in the 1st post.

At this point I only tentativly know what the spec is on her. I think and it is a think

The head is S3 but with Spec R custom bits welded on the cover for the condensator system which is also Spec R
The sump looks like it has some extra bits welded on to me with one going to the condensator
The block is possibly A4
The exhaust manifold is either custom made or again A4
The turbo is a Garret although I have 3 of them in various sizes. The one on it is the smallest one.

I have no idea on engine internals or cams

The fuel tank is a custom ally unit feeding the standard tank which then goes off to a large swirl pot and large pump.

The gear stick has been moved up and back on a custom frame, I dont know if the gear knob and mechanismn is standard or not but it is very very short shift.

It has a very nice pedal box in it but with no brake servo on it so I need to do some squats.

As I strip it I shall post pics of bits and then you can help me identify them if you would?

Not knowing an Audi, half the time I don't know what Im looking at. Still I will by the end so that's cool. I shall strip it totally a couple of times to learn the techniques and its little foibles.

Mark.

PS
Yes the bonnet is one piece custom carbon as are the doors and tailgate too. I have not weighed it yet but I think it's around the 1100 mark.

Hi.

I thought a lot of the bits didn't look quite right!

It looks like a 1.8 inlet manifold and from what you've said,you need to find out exactly what's under the bonnet and what's actually inside that engine.

It needs a total tear down,and the existing turbo and manifold look in poor shape so they may need a lot of work as well.

Once that's under way,you'll have a much better idea of what you need,and what you can do with it.

Hi.

I thought a lot of the bits didn't look quite right!

It looks like a 1.8 inlet manifold and from what you've said,you need to find out exactly what's under the bonnet and what's actually inside that engine.

It needs a total tear down,and the existing turbo and manifold look in poor shape so they may need a lot of work as well.

Once that's under way,you'll have a much better idea of what you need,and what you can do with it.

Strip down in progress :)

Followed the thread on CS and will be following this one too, best of luck to you does look a bit of a hodge-podge at the moment.

OK Guys

Firstly this car is easier to work on than the Clio Apart from the turbo which was a ***** and the exhaust manifold which seems to have the lower nuts right next to the tube to open ended spanner only which I found odd! So I need help please.

1. How can I stop the NS CV rotating so I can undo the inner nuts (gearbox end) I have taken off all the suspension both sides now but if the only way is to put it back on so be it?

2. Can you point me in the direction fo a good Audi store for shells, rings, head set, bottom end set, timing belt and performance parts please?

3. How do I take the prop shaft off the back of the box so I can lift the engine and box out the front of the car please?

4. Anyone know the plastigague tolerances for the mains and big ends?

5. Bore of 2.0 so I can check if its 2.0 or 1.8?

Here are some pics of parts, please help me identify if you can.

Is this an A4 block?

DSC_0047.jpg

How do I remove this?

DSC_0048.jpg

This is the wastegate. Not having had a turbo car before do I need a dump valve too or just this? This little gem is over £600!! on Demon tweeks so I am very interested to see what's inside the engine. I am told the intercooler was £2000 to make and the rad another £1500 ouch.

DSC_0049.jpg

Exhaust manifold

DSC_0050.jpg

Inlet manifold?

DSC_0051.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
The intake manifold for sure is a 1.8 S3 8L manifold,which makes me wonder if the engine is from an 8L as well,as the oil filler is in the right position for the 1.8 S3 engine as well.
I think also the prices for the intercooler and radiator were rather steep,as ProAlloy will supply S3 intercoolers for rather less.....you need to find out exactly what engine you've got in there before thinking of parts and suppliers,as there will be differences for 8P and 8L models.
A Turbosmart Progate 50 should not cost much more than £350 by the way.

The intake manifold for sure is a 1.8 S3 8L manifold,which makes me wonder if the engine is from an 8L as well,as the oil filler is in the right position for the 1.8 S3 engine as well.
I think also the prices for the intercooler and radiator were rather steep,as ProAlloy will supply S3 intercoolers for rather less.....you need to find out exactly what engine you've got in there before thinking of parts and suppliers,as there will be differences for 8P and 8L models.
A Turbosmart Progate 50 should not cost much more than £350 by the way.

Im looking forward to gettign it apart :) £350 they are over £600 on DT!

Any answers to my above questions?

Last edited:
First is to find out what the engine is.

Get the details off the block and also the chassis number etc to find the model of S3 you've got.

I wouldn't spend anything until you know all that.

Turbos,waste gates etc for race use.... Owen Developments.

Pistons.... I used Wossner but there are others and for rods I used PEC but you can also use Integrated Engineering JE or if you want some of the best ,Loba.

For bearing shells etc i would ask either AMD or Backdraft.

I've asked another forum member who knows a LOT more about the 1.8 S3 engine than I do to have a look,and maybe help as well.

Thats looks like a bit of a hybrid of a engine.16v head on maybe a 06A block?Butchered S3 and 16v inlets?Its hard to tell from just pictures
Thanks very much Andrew...what knowledge I have is from the 8P,and this didn't look right at all.

One other thing....I looked at Spec-R's website and found that Dialynx built this car.....you might want to start by asking them what's under the hood.
Dialynx – Home
Spec R Alloy

ha ha funny you should say that as I have just been on the phone to Keith and have learnt loads :) It is

2.0 AXX engine code bottom end with
Forged pistons and rods
Race bearings by race series
16 valve Golf head revving to over 9000 with solid lifters and full race cams
Race valves and springs
Golf mk5 GTi back end
Switchable haldex on dash

Makes over 500 bhp when on song Ooerrr

Keith has recommended taking off the whole 4 wheel drive and running is as 2 and much lighter as i am only allowed 200 bhp/ton at wheels..

Enjoying this :) Ive got a BEAST..

Last edited:
Well done and a good find.

I hope you enjoy it and that after a bit of TLC it turns out to be as much fun as it sounds.

Glad that between us all we've found what the engine is,and what sort of machinery is in it......saves a lot of potential work and gives you an excellent basis for a good race car.

When I saw their website I was very impressed with the SWB Quattro builds.

Last edited:
Yeh Ill have another day in the garage tommorow.

Any answers on taking the prop shaft off? and stopping the cv joint rotating so I can undo those too?

Yeh Ill have another day in the garage tommorow.

Any answers on taking the prop shaft off? and stopping the cv joint rotating so I can undo those too?

Fraid not.....I'm no good at that sort of stuff,but there should be two sets of bolts holding the shaft in place.

As for getting it out.....I'm no use as I leave all that to AMD who do a far better job than I ever could!

When you get around to the turbo and waste gate,it's well worth talking to Owen Developments.

These are the guys who supply turbos to the BTCC amongst others,and really do know what they're doing.

Propshaft, take the rear 3x 10mm 12 point bolts out of the doughnut. Then remove the dogbone mount if you haven't already and push the engine forward then lift the propshaft up and out of the way, be careful not to damage the seal in the center.

If you want to take the whole propshaft off the car then you'll need to remove all the heatshields to get at the center bearing then the same performance with the rear doughnut. Splitting the shaft if you wish.

Book method is the keep all the mouting orientations the same when you refit so it will be worth marking up before removal if you want to stick to this.

Last edited: