• A3

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Replacements

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nimosonen

Reaction score
Hey guys. So my A3 is rounding almost 150 000km on the road now, and I´m wondering if its smart of me to replace it with a newer with less milages on the road. Is this just a waist of money? Its a 1,6 from 2002. Does these last long, or should I buy a newer?

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!

part of it would depend on how much you can sell your current car for. it isn't worth alot compared to other ones for sale with similar mileage then keep it as long as you can and save up for something newer/better.

obviously that's only my opinion

But my concern is that soon something will get broken or need fixing because of its age and mileage. I´m not an Audi expert, so I don´t know whats going to happen to it. Is it something I need to watch out for?

Nobody can say what's going to happen to it. Might drive the same for another 150k without any major problems. Might also break down next month and need major rebuild. It all depends on how well it has been maintained by you and the previous owners (and luck). Getting a new old car just because of your current mileage is silly, since you don't know in what state the "new" old car will be. Could be much worse with lower mileage, however might be in a much better condition. It's a gamble.

Only reason to change cars would be to get something faster (with more power, 1.8T perhaps?) since the 1.6 is...it just is what it is.

Yes indeed. I do agree in what you are saying. But its so typical that something is going to break. I have some small issues already, but its nothing major.
And yes, its quite boring with the 1.6. I want to try to sell this one, and see what I can get and then take it from there.

Oh didn't notice it was km, I guess I'm so used to everybody talking about miles here usually that I don't even notice anymore :p

Its best to judge a car by what condition its in and how well the engine has been serviced and cared for, that mileage is low compared to some peoples, my s3 hit 190k km last week and the engine is still going great.

My (notoriously bad) early 1.8 (N/A) engine has 205 000 km on the clock, which judging by the wear on the interior etc. has probably been reduced (as service history is unknown), so in reality it is probably somewhere between 300k-400k km. It has not needed any major engine work and has been in my hands for the last 40k. Of course there are some odd faults here and there, but nothing big.

I have some faults too. Would be great with a newer one, but... Im not so sure!
Sorry for the missunderstanding about the miles. Should have been more clear!

The biggest problem I have with my car at the moment is that my doorpanels are making a huge squicky noise when I drive! So frustrating... I have tried to fill inn some soft fabricks to get the squicking away, but it just comes back after a few days...

Mileage is never a concern on modern VAG motors. I had a Passat saloon 1.6 with 125k miles(not km) on it, pretty much the same engine, and it was running great! If you think how heavy a Passat is, I basically had to rag the **** out of the engine to get anywhere! Then there is age related issues, like worn breather hoses.
Before you go down the route of shopping cars, how long have you had it? There's no guarantee that a lower mileage replacement is going to be a better car. But you might aswell upgrade to a higher spec model if you do.

Reactions: Nimosonen
If you know the car and its history, stick with it, no need to change if you dont need to....

There was a story on here recently about a new Audi S1 that has had nothing but troubles, so there is no guarantee that a newer, lower mileage car is going to be any better for you.

Reactions: Nimosonen
I bought my A3 with 200.000km on the clock.

It was obvious that the previous owner sold it based on the milage.
He gave me full history and all jobs that have been done.

Now i've driven with it for 90k kilometers and only thing i do is change filters and oil. Will do a timing belt soon and the same cycle continues.

These cars are built to last and last forever.

Car is 1.9 Tdi 81kw btw.

If the car is 100% OK then keep it or you make someone very happy like i am.

The biggest problem I have with my car at the moment is that my doorpanels are making a huge squicky noise when I drive! So frustrating... I have tried to fill inn some soft fabricks to get the squicking away, but it just comes back after a few days...

I had simlar issue with door making noises. Door hinges just get tired and need replacing. It's was 25€ job for me.

Last edited:
I bought my A3 with 200.000km on the clock.

It was obvious that the previous owner sold it based on the milage.
He gave me full history and all jobs that have been done.

Now i've driven with it for 90k kilometers and only thing i do is change filters and oil. Will do a timing belt soon and the same cycle continues.

These cars are built to last and last forever.

Car is 1.9 Tdi 81kw btw.

If the car is 100% OK then keep it or you make someone very happy like i am.

I had simlar issue with door making noises. Door hinges just get tired and need replacing. It's was 25€ job for me.
Good to hear man! :)

But this is inside, the interior is making noise. Not the door itself. The doorpanel where the speakers and everything are. Or did you mean inside on yours too? I that case, where did you find new hinges?

Mileage is never a concern on modern VAG motors. I had a Passat saloon 1.6 with 125k miles(not km) on it, pretty much the same engine, and it was running great! If you think how heavy a Passat is, I basically had to rag the **** out of the engine to get anywhere! Then there is age related issues, like worn breather hoses.
Before you go down the route of shopping cars, how long have you had it? There's no guarantee that a lower mileage replacement is going to be a better car. But you might aswell upgrade to a higher spec model if you do.
I´ve had the car for 2 years now this summer. No big problems with it so far, only a thermostat issue wich I replaced with a new one. Some small electronics problems like petroltank is showing wrong in the dash and I don´t get a warning when I need to fill more petrol and oil. But thats just some sensors, quick fix. BUT, I can tell you that last summer a taxi drove in to my right side, so I had to get it repaired in the shop. But the only damage happend her was the cosmetics, now its okay again.

Good to hear man! :)

But this is inside, the interior is making noise. Not the door itself. The doorpanel where the speakers and everything are. Or did you mean inside on yours too? I that case, where did you find new hinges?

Tiny cosmetic bits and pieces i order directly from german factory. As Golf 4, Seat leon and škoda octavia mk1 share almost the same pieces i usually choose the cheapest.

But the door panel parts i got from scrapyard as i wouldn't buy whole new door just to replace 1 tiny piece.

Tiny cosmetic bits and pieces i order directly from german factory. As Golf 4, Seat leon and škoda octavia mk1 share almost the same pieces i usually choose the cheapest.

But the door panel parts i got from scrapyard as i wouldn't buy whole new door just to replace 1 tiny piece.
Last I checked the hinges on the doorpanel are in one piece with the doorpanel itself. I may be wrong tho. I will go online and check for parts