1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15" rims on 3.0l quattro????

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by morrisonbrink, Sep 22, 2013.

1. morrisonbrink

morrisonbrink Member

Looking at winter tyre possibilities for my newly acquired A4 cab 3.0l Quattro, the sticker on my car seems to suggest 15" winter wheels ????? Hard to believe they would clear the brakes?

Has anyone else come across this? How does the car handle on such radically different rubber?

IMG_1888.jpg

Obviously there are lots of other wheel and tyre combinations that will fit, but that might give me an insurance problem where I live (France).

This is the car-

audi-a4-quattro-sport-S612989-2 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

2. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That might be a generic sticker? Do you know what size your front discs are?

16" wheels will clear 312mm front discs ok.
  3. morrisonbrink

morrisonbrink Member

Not sure about brake disc but 312mm seems likely ( bit late to be removing wheels). Just checked the space saver spare and it is 17" so 15" looks even less likely to fit.

It seems unbelievable that they would put a "generic" sticker on to a car that quotes an impossible size for such a vital part though?

Is it possible to get a new sticker from Audi?
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You can get different stickers depending on factory fitted wheel sizes, I agree it seems unlikely they've fitted the wrong sticker though. People sometimes change the sticker when they upgrade to 18" wheels as no A4 left the factory with 18's (unless specced as an extra/or an S4) prior to the S-Line in 2004. In saloon/avant guise at least.

I would expect a 3.0 to have 312mm discs, but Audi do some funny things, and I have no idea on Cabby specs.
    morrisonbrink likes this.
  5. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Smaller and narrower tyres have better grip and performance in snow or ice because the smaller tyre cuts through snow more effectively due to the weight of the car pressing on a more focused set of contact patches. Smaller is also better for acceleration and mpg plus tyre prices are cheap as chips.

Could measure the size of the discs before fitting smaller alloys, if they don't fit width ways use spacers.
  6. morrisonbrink

morrisonbrink Member

I understand all that, it would be handy to be able to fit 15" rims, but I doubt they would fit over the brakes. Which leaves me with the insurance problem caused by the wrong sticker :keule:The sticker and the spare do not correspond either.........
  7. Ian2012

Ian2012 Member

You would better off fitting 16 inch audi rims from an SE or early Sport model then tyre size should be 205/55/16 they should fit, i have a set for our sline q avantand they fit fine. you might also want to check rolling radius as well so it doesnt unduly affect the speedo reading
  8. morrisonbrink

morrisonbrink Member

So, as I do indeed have 312mm brakes in the front, I ended up getting some cheap second hand 18" old RS6 style Ronals. I shelled out for a set of nokian WR A3 s in the same 235 40 R18 size as the summer tyres to keep the insurance happy. The wheels are 7.5" off an A3 so would benefit from spacers to fill out the arches a bit better, but no hurry. Tyres seem very good so far.

[​IMG]

Once I had got the summer set of wheels off and cleaned some of the grime off, it became apparent that one of them is a bit bent, which would explain the slight vibrations at motorway speed. Lots of weights on it to try and compensate, but perhaps it would benefit from being straightened? Anybody have any experience with wheel straightening? Is it worth doing on this-

[​IMG]

The wheel is perfectly airtight and the vibrations are minor, is it worth paying for straightening?
  9. desertstorm

desertstorm Member

A bit bent is an understatement that is so obvious it really needs replacing. It's likely to have fractures in the alloy and although it's not leaking another pothole at some point in the future and it will be.
    BakPak likes this.
  10. Mike.M

Mike.M Active Member

You can get the wheel sorted and usually costs about £50.