140TDi DSG Black Edition or 170 6sp Sport Quattro

Davidb67

Reaction score
I think my 320d SE is going to be written-off after an accident, so could be having to order a new company car in the next few weeks (hope so anyhow!).
I moved to the BM from an A3 2.0TDi Sport DSG and loved the car, it was pre 170bhp.

Looking at our company car list, I could have A3 2.0TDi 140bhp DSG Black Edition, or "sport" trim 170bhp Quattro. Loved the DSG box, I know many don't although I did get the chance to have a quick blast in a 140bhp Quattro a few years ago (courtesy car), and loved that.
I could also look at a Scirocco GT 140 bhp 2.0TDi DSG, or a Passat CC 140 bhp 2.0TDi DSG.

Like the high spec of the Black Edition, and I guess could get that chipped, but the quattro is appealing.
Scirocco appeals as it's well sporty-looking inside & out, and I think the Passat CC looks stunning.

I appreciate I'm on an Audi forum so answers likely to be a little biased!
thoughts?

I have thr 170 Quattro Black Edition and it is a great car, the 4 wheel drive has been a god send over the last few weeks in the snow.

Even in normal conditions the quattro is great for nipping out of junctions, my previous car was a 140 mark 5 Golf and it was prone to wheel spinning.

The only down side i would say is that it has a healthy appetite for fuel and tyres.

I've had mine since may and done 12K miles and enjoyed them all

Yes, but that's the thing. If a 170 Quattro Black Edition was on the list there would be no contest! as it is, 2wd well-spec'd 140 DSG Black Edition or "Sport" trim 170 Quattro.
I'm sure the 170 quattro would be the better drive (especially as I'm not paying for fuel or tyres!), but I would not be able to thrown the two grand or so to spec the "Sport" trim up to include Leather, Xenons and Bose.

My thinking is that I could have the 140 chipped at some point, but would have the benefit of a few things that would be useful (& expensive as options otherwise) - Xenons & Bose.

Decisions, Decisions!

Before i ordered mine i had a shot of a 140, it was a manual but it was new CR and was more lively than my Golf was and noticeably quieter.

The black edition is a very well specced car so think it would be the one to go for

Tough one, i've got a 170 quattro s-line, nice trim, and good grip. Not driven dsg, but i hear its good. I'm sat here thinking! The 170s ARE quick!
Sorry i'm not helping.

IMO if you're thinking of remap, the only thing you would miss out on is quattro.
Best thing would be to try a test drive both 170bhp fwd/quattro and see which one suits your driving the best
Personally I would rather have the black edition but end of the day you will be sitting inside it!