1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

140 or 170 TDi

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by P Crr, Sep 15, 2009.

1. P Crr

P Crr Member

[Sep 15, 2009]
    New to Audi. Just bought a 2005 140 s line TDI. I was told it had been chipped to 170 by garage i bought it from. Is there any way I can see if it has a tuning box / resistor or re map by looking under bonnet. I beleive it has more power than 140 by the way it drives.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 26, 2014]

3. s-line stu

s-line stu Member

[Sep 15, 2009]
    You won't see anything if it's been remapped as it normally just done by plugging a laptop into the dashboard and installing the software so the bonnet isn't even lifted. Not sure about tuning boxes etc... but I think they work in a similar way (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    Have you ever driven a standard 140 as a comparison as with the torque they can feel faster than the power suggests although I wouldn't have thought the garage would say it's been tuned if it hadden't.
  4. M7R

M7R Type Approval Engineer,

[Sep 16, 2009]
    does it black smoke alot? does it use alot of fuel?

if its been mapped not so well then you might be able to tell with vag com as it will show how many flashes the ECU has had.

also with vag com you can log the engine torque (well predicted torque as it doesnt actually measure it direct) so that could help.

also drive a 140 that you know is normal (go to the dealers for a test drive) as my chipped 140 isnt that much faster than my dads non chipped one, just that its smoother and has a bit more grunt low down that comes in earlier, mine will give you a good shove in the back, but my dads is suprising if your not used to it.
  5. P Crr

P Crr Member

[Sep 17, 2009]
    No smoke. But front wheel can spin even when on the move if you put your foot down
  6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 17, 2009]
    You could compare boost levels with vagcom with standard 140 owner & yours to see if yours is boosting more is one way I guess, IIRC measuring block 011 in engine module 01, log it from 3rd gear upwards & floor it for few miles then stop & stop log & check the boost levels in log against other stock 140