1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12v cigarette lighter socket in boot guide?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by doublem_1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Has anyone on here installed a 12v lighter socket in the boot like how the mk4 golf has them? Would like to see a guide if there is one about. I have had a search on here but couldn't find one.
  2. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

Not installed one but shouldn't be too difficult.

Buy a 12v socket ideally from a Golf but obviously any will do. Drill a hole in the trim and install it. Run a feed from the front Cigarette lighter's fuse in the fusebox by splicing a wire in. Run the feed to the back of the car and solder to the socket. Run an earth from a seatbelt mounting point or another suitable earthing point.

If the front socket runs only when the ignition is on, the other socket will be the same. You can take a permanent live (but make sure it's fused) if you want it to run even with the engine off but cool boxes are pretty energy intensive.
  3. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Ah ok. Yes probably best to take it from the front cig lighter i suppose. Was hoping there would be a good source in the boot rather than try and run wires all that way. I intend on using for yes cool box and sometimes a 240v adapter for charging camera batteries. Might be doing a euro road trip!
  4. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

See if this helps:

Waks Wide Web
  5. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

Iv thought about this as my golf had it, but the 'higher quality' a3/s3 doesn't,

Maybe come off power feed to amp for sub, that should be permanent live, then just fuse it. My cigarette lighter is perminately live regardless of ignition position.