1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

110k miles s3 fidgity ride

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kek700, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kek700

kek700 New Member

[Mar 7, 2010]
    Fidgety ride, will not track straight, fidgets about when travelling in a straight line.

I wonder if anyone can help, it could be, bushes, worn dampers, tracking, castor,
    Or ???

I have checked camber (– 1 degree each side).

It is also very sensitive to front tyre pressures, requiring them to be exactly the same on both fronts.

Is there a reason that I can investigate that normally occurs at this mileage?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Mar 7, 2010]
    I'd guess ARBs and/or bushes. Had the same thing going on with mine, bushes were completely gone.
  4. kek700

kek700 New Member

[Mar 7, 2010]
    thanks for the reply, probably get myself a front poly bush set.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 7, 2010]
    I would be tempted to get an alignment test first in case its something simple...

Bush wise, poly bushes are ok for the front of the front arms but stick to OEM TT/S3 non voided bushes for the rear bushes in the front arms... I found some bushes on ebay for about 8 quid the pair posted and they are fine. I have Powerflex in the front set of the front arms and the solid (non voided) rubber bushes in the rear of the arms (front arms have 2 sets of bushes). Poly bushes in the rear tend to squeeze out and split.

Audi will try and sell you a replacement arm with bushes already in it (std bushes) as it is cheaper for them to replace the arm as a whole then to remove and press in new bushes labour wise...

One other thing to check is the state of your tyres... when my fronts start getting a bit worn the car tends to track a little more....

<tuffty/>
  6. tankie2ndrtr

tankie2ndrtr Member

[Mar 7, 2010]
    go for a 4 wheel Laser Alignment. and check Tire wear on the inside :) Think its about £80 :) Not a bad price and it will feel like new
  7. AudiiduA

AudiiduA Member

[Mar 8, 2010]
    I had a similar problem on a Celica few years ago, it needed track rod end ball joints! wich made sense as there was play in them and the tracking was constantly altering slightly over bumps ect! had them fitted and then tracked and it was like new!
    ATB Lee
  8. martin g

martin g [censored]

[Mar 8, 2010]
    anyone know of a place to laser align in the somersetish area??
  9. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 9, 2010]
    Mine had a fidgety rear, came down to replacing the ARB Droplinks (£15.00 a side and 5 mins on a ramp) as the original ones had some play in them
  10. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Mar 9, 2010]
    at 110K miles the bushes will be well past their best. the front end is so simple to do, id start there and maybe drop links

ive not played about with the rear end of an S3 (independant) but i cant imagine those bushes being particularly good either