10k miles

allanmb

Reaction score
I've just ticked over 10k miles on the (not so) new car. I've had it almost a year and have no real complaints. I've learnt that the fuel economy isn't as good as advertised but it is still a lot better than my B7 3.2 was!

Hopefully the next 3 years are as pain free :)

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_085655.JPG
    IMG_20141219_085655.JPG
    714.4 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Point_Audi and ruairi83
According to my FuelLog app, I have averaged 39.81 mpg. It's the 2.0TDI 177 Quattro. The first few thousand miles were running the engine in, looking at the graphs the average at the end of the year has been more like 42-44 mpg

Reactions: Kalashnikov
I'd be happy with nearly 40 mpg, only had ours a week or so but so far according to the trip it's averaged 31 mpg since we got her ! ( 177PS Quattro ) The trouble is we do a lot of short trips of 3 - 5 miles in mainly 30mph zones but I was hoping for a bit more as we were getting 25mpg in our X5 auto & that was mapped to 260bhp ?

Well, my old B6 2.5 Quattro Sport Avant (fab car) averaged around 35mpg (and it was a lovely torquey car to drive around)....but my 2010 2.0TDi Quattro S-Line Avant (170) is only doing 38 to 40 mpg around towns. (and does need endless gear changes)

I average about 46 mpg although not Quattro and still suffering from enjoying right foot reaction a bit :rolleyes:

I'd be happy with nearly 40 mpg, only had ours a week or so but so far according to the trip it's averaged 31 mpg since we got her ! ( 177PS Quattro ) The trouble is we do a lot of short trips of 3 - 5 miles in mainly 30mph zones but I was hoping for a bit more as we were getting 25mpg in our X5 auto & that was mapped to 260bhp ?

Whilst the engine is running in it will be less economical. You would be wise to not over-rev for the first 2-3 thousand miles and then start to introduce some mid-high revs after that. I have just discovered the Economy mode in the car menu and I jumped up to 48mpg from my long drive yesterday and my 5 mile town drive to work this morning - very happy if that keeps up!

Whilst the engine is running in it will be less economical. You would be wise to not over-rev for the first 2-3 thousand miles and then start to introduce some mid-high revs after that. I have just discovered the Economy mode in the car menu and I jumped up to 48mpg from my long drive yesterday and my 5 mile town drive to work this morning - very happy if that keeps up!
Hi, the thing is she's not new, now 20 months old with 35k miles on the clock. Don't think I've got economy mode in the options but we don't drive her particularly hard, no more than the X5 anyway. I was hoping for maybe mid to high 30 mpg, maybe I'm expecting too much, it just doesn't seem much more than the X5 which was a 3.0 diesel with an auto box & weighs about 400kg more than the A4 Avant which is manual & has stop - start ?
I know you can't go on manufactures figures but Audi quote 44.8mpg on urban, 60.1mpg on extra urban & 53.3mpg combined, I'm nearly 14mpg off their lowest quoted figures.
I will check her myself next time I fill her up but can anyone confirm their average mpg on mainly short trips ?

Hi, the thing is she's not new, now 20 months old with 35k miles on the clock. Don't think I've got economy mode in the options but we don't drive her particularly hard, no more than the X5 anyway. I was hoping for maybe mid to high 30 mpg, maybe I'm expecting too much, it just doesn't seem much more than the X5 which was a 3.0 diesel with an auto box & weighs about 400kg more than the A4 Avant which is manual & has stop - start ?
I know you can't go on manufactures figures but Audi quote 44.8mpg on urban, 60.1mpg on extra urban & 53.3mpg combined, I'm nearly 14mpg off their lowest quoted figures.
I will check her myself next time I fill her up but can anyone confirm their average mpg on mainly short trips ?

Unfortunately, Audi arent alone in these quoted figures. The figure they come up with is during the test for CO2 emissions and is a set test by the industry. All manufacturers do the same test which is why they say it is a guide between models but not something you are likely to achieve in real world conditions. Check Honest John for actual values others are getting:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b8-2008/20-tdi-177-quattro

Before hand, with the aircon on, and in Dynamic mode I would get low 30s around town so I dont think your car is particularly low in fuel economy. I now dont use aircon in winter and have turned on efficiency mode and am now happily getting over 40 around town.

I think the biggest problem with the 177 is that the turbo is used a lot and kicks in early to give it that bit more grunt. Switching on the Efficiency mode makes this much less and so the economy goes up. It isn't standard on any model unless you have Audi Drive Select but you can enable is using VCDS and the hidden MMI menu.