How use VAGCOM/VCDS to test for boost & vac leaks

finesse

Reaction score
Looking for help on how to use VAGCOM/VCDS to test for boost & vac leaks?

Thanks

Reactions: stuart_tate41
Easiest way is to check block 032.

There are two fields in the block, and both belong to fuel trims.

Left hand one is short term adaption, right hand one is long term adaption. Left hand one is the one to look at in this instance.

Make a note of these two figures. Reset the fault codes (even if there are none), as this will clear the fuel trim data back to 0% for both blocks.

Then start the motor and log block 032. If the value in the left hand block steadily climbs to or past the 3-4% area, it's normally a good indication of a leak.

Will be trying this in the morning!

Leggy suggested that at 3000rpm under no load the real time MAF reading should be exactly 10g/s on a car with no leaks....

Will be trying this in the morning!

Leggy suggested that at 3000rpm under no load the real time MAF reading should be exactly 10g/s on a car with no leaks....

Not tried this, but did see it. Would be interested to know if it works from someone who's tried it....

well, it works in mine. holding the revs as accurately at 3k as I can I see bang on 10g/s, and to my knowledge, I don't have any leaks.

GOing to check the fuel trims in a mo see what that gives me to confirm

I did try this too with my mates liquid gauge, held the revs at 3000rpm and I was only showing 8g/s...

Went to Jabba yesterday and they smoke tested the system and I do have a boost leak by the inlet manifold, going to put the new pipe on Monday as Jabba didn't have the part in stock, once I've done the fix I'll try the liquid gauge again,

Let you know how I get on...

Does the 3k rev method and block 032 apply to 1.8t A3's too?

what should my boost gauge be reading on idle with a stage two map and forge mbc set to 1.5 bar 1999 aoudi s3 apy?
its reading -0.7 bar is this correct?

Just tried the fuel trims test on mine, before resetting it was -0.4% short term, and -4% long term.

Reset them and the short term didn't move from 0 at all for 5 mins idling. drove 30 miles home, and short term is 0 still, and long term is -3.9%

Does this sound fairly normal to you guys?

If it's pulling out 4% fuel long term, does that imply the map is running rich as standard, and it's possibly got a smallish leak somewhere? or being a generic map, will they all adjust a few % up or down to suit individual cars?

Just tried the fuel trims test on mine, before resetting it was -0.4% short term, and -4% long term.

Reset them and the short term didn't move from 0 at all for 5 mins idling. drove 30 miles home, and short term is 0 still, and long term is -3.9%

Does this sound fairly normal to you guys?

If it's pulling out 4% fuel long term, does that imply the map is running rich as standard, and it's possibly got a smallish leak somewhere? or being a generic map, will they all adjust a few % up or down to suit individual cars?

Short term trim sounds spot on dude.

Long term trim's acceptable tolerances are between +/-10%, and you are well within that. Bottom line is that it's a generic map, and every engine is different...

The ECU won't throw the EML for fuelling until +/-25% is breached.

what should my boost gauge be reading on idle with a stage two map and forge mbc set to 1.5 bar 1999 aoudi s3 apy?
its reading -0.7 bar is this correct?

mine reads on idle -20 which i -1.3 bar so you might have leak some where

Did both the methods and my results are:

Rpm at 3000rpm is between 10.3-10.9
Short term fuel is at 0.8 and long term is at 0 after 5 mins

Does this look like I have a leak?

Also, how would my boost gauge behave if there is a leak?

Sekenzo,

Not sure about the fuel trims but the theory of holding 3k revs and your G/s maf reading would suggest that your car is fine, I was told that the tolerance is 0.9, as your seeing 10.9 would suggest your car is fine...

i might sound alittle special here but do you hold 3000rpm stationary or whilst moving(3rd, 4th, 5th Gear)?

thanks

plus or minus 10% is what the ecu works on.
if its outside these perameters the management light is supposed to come on showing up fuel trim faults.
whether these faults are due to air leaks/injector faults/dodgy air mass's is anyones guesses!

Hello everyone this is my first post ive been lurking around the site gathering info to try and resolve 2 faults on a 02 Audi A3 1.8 T AUM engine
error codes are
2 Faults Found:

17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

P1200 - 35-00 - -

17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean

P1136 - 35-00 -

up to now i have replaced 2 breather hoses 06A103247 & 06A103213AK
ordered a Recirculating closed loop Dump Valve which i hope will clear the Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
just had a look at Block 032 whilst stationary idling at the moment i have a reading of:
7.9 Idle O2 Adapt & -3.1 Run O2 Adapt
because the first reading is high could this be because the DV is faulty & creating another vac leak as well as giving no boost pressure ?
cel comes on after about 15 miles 23 mpg is not good at all even when driving like miss daisy :(

update
Just found another split pipe under inlet manifold it comes out of a T piece to the underside of the inlet manifold I'm not sure about the part number i think its
06A 133 783 AT could anyone confirm this will fit A3 1.8 T AUM engine Ive cobbled something together for now to see if it cures:
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean fault

Last edited:
Fingers crossed think Ive sorted faults:
17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
P1200 - 35-00 - -
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-00 -
Replaced split vac pipes & old DV
bought a piston type from ebay see if it lasts longer than a 710N
Link to before and after boost charts could anyone tell me if 2nd chart looks about right for a standard 1.8T

Last edited:
Tried this method out yesterday while doing some tinkering with a couple of other guys from here and its a good quick way to check to see if you have any leaks that need investigating furthur.

My car from the results is looking pretty leak free and held 10g/s at 3k rpm so all is good cheers for the guide chaps

Hi Guys

I tried the Block 032 test last night to see if if there were any leaks, but would really appreciate some advice to clarify the results

I ran the car for a short while to allow it to warm up and then I ran the test.

-1.3% on the Left - Short Term and - 6.3% on the right - Long term

I then cleared the faults as suggested and these results differed to the below

-0.4% rising to -1.7% Short term & 0.0% on the long term

I already have concerns that the car is running lean, but I do not understand these results enough to be able to make an eductaed decision?

Sadly it was too late at night to be holding the engine a 3k to test the other way

Thanks in advance

Easiest way is to check block 032.

There are two fields in the block, and both belong to fuel trims.

Left hand one is short term adaption, right hand one is long term adaption. Left hand one is the one to look at in this instance.

Make a note of these two figures. Reset the fault codes (even if there are none), as this will clear the fuel trim data back to 0% for both blocks.

Then start the motor and log block 032. If the value in the left hand block steadily climbs to or past the 3-4% area, it's normally a good indication of a leak.

-6.3% LTFT is more likely to indicate you have a leak under boost... a vacuum leak will show as a positive figure in STFT but may well adapt to a negative value in LTFT... LTFT's will take a little while to adapt...

If you suspect you have a fuel issue then you need to log blocks 001, 031 (as you have a wideband ECU on your AMK S3) as this will show lambda control values (001) and requested AFR vs actual AFR (031)...

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty I will try this again tonight, as I balls up logging Blocks 001 & 031 last night. (driving and clicking go on the laptop!)

Cheers Ian

Thanks Tuffty I will try this again tonight, as I balls up logging Blocks 001 & 031 last night. (driving and clicking go on the laptop!)

Cheers Ian

Click go before driving off then just look at the run rather than all the surrounding data... safer.. also... hover the mouse over the marker button and tap the tounch pad prior to a run... you can also use the 'right arrow' cursor key too...

<tuffty/>

Sorry to drag this up, if I have a positive reading in the left box. The number went from 0 to 3% in a few minutes after resetting, what is that telling me?

Probably got a leak, A smoke test would be the next step to find the leak, the 1.8t is well known for leaks.

I know this is pretty old now, I had a smoke test last week and there was a small leak all sorted now. Trims were reset 200 odd miles ago and now it's saying 0.2% idle and -3.1 part throttle. Sound better now? The car feels like it boost better.