1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1-Series M-sport - DoDo Limeprime

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Jimmeh, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

BMW 1-Series M-Sport

A bit of travelling involved in this one – A BMW 1-Series and a Merc SL600 AMG.. Cutting a long story short, the BM took a lot longer than expected and left little time to start on the Merc. ~10 hours went into the 1-Series, 8 on the first day, and, 2 hours in the morning of the second day. The rest of this day was spent on Interiors; a Range Rover Vogue TDV8, and, a JEEP Cherokee (estate ‘work horse’).

I didn't enjoy this one - one of them days maybe? The owner was very pleased, but, after x-amounts of unexpected events, (wind/cold/rain and the dogs that kept running off with my kit!!), I didn't get on well at all.

Product

• 303 Aerospace Protectant
    • AutoGlym Vinyl Rubber Care
    • AutoSmart G101
    • AutoSmart Tardis
    • AutoSmart Silver Screen
    • Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
    • Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
    • Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
    • Dodo Juice Limeprime
    • Jeffs Werkstat Acrylic PRIME
    • Meguiars All-Purpose Cleaner (APC)
    • Meguiars Last Touch
    • Meguiars Wheel Brightener
    • Meguiars Super-Degreaser
    • Sonus Green clay
    • Victoria Red Concours wax

I was lucky to even make it in the first place – I drove passed the entrance and ended up on a rather rutted, rooked and bumpy decent. Silly really, “no SL600 AMG is going to live down here!!” Once at the bottom and with enough room to spin round, I make the phone-call and speak to the owner. He couldn’t believe I’d make it down there, and, “would be very surprised if I made it back up!” heh! All I have to say is, HAIL THE MIGHTY QUATTRO. A fun start to the day, lets put it that way.

Before I started on the BM:

[​IMG]

After I’d packed up:

[​IMG]

Lovely!

So, day 1, inspection photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now at this point, let me introduce you to the dogs.

[​IMG]

Sky and Kite, Alaskan Malamute’s. Lovely, lovely dogs.

First job were the sills and shuts (usually wheels, but, these would be coming off a little later so made haste elsewhere..)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foam delivered and lots of additional APC/cleaning was done on the window rubbers, petrol filler housing, crevices and ‘crack’s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vehicle re-foamed for an ultra-slick wash, and, washed with Dodo Juice BTBM and a Meguiars Lambswool Washmit.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sonus Green picking up the usual surface contaminants:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The owner came along to help jack the car up and remove the wheels... At the same time, I was asked to clean and protect the Merc’s winter wheels.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

I didn’t grab too many photos at this stage – time was pushing already and I knew this wasn’t going to be a quick job.

[​IMG]

Inners soaked with Meguiars Wheel Brightener > agitated. AutoSmart Tardis used where applicable to remove small tar deposits. Tyres scrubbed with Megs Super-degreaser and finally protected with JetSEAL109.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arches were wetted, soaked with APC, scrubbed and pressure washed. Later dressed with AutoGlym’s Vinyl Rubber Care.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this out the way, the wheels went back on the 1-Series, and I finished off the winter wheels for the Merc.

[​IMG]

I made the mistake of not having the wheels off in the first place. I now had to re-foam and wash the car to make sure all debris and dirt was clear.

[​IMG]

It’s roughly 3pm now. Not made good progress at all..

The Kestral Rotary was fired up, and, a 3M yellow polishing pad was primed with Dodo Limeprime.

General before..

[​IMG]

And after..

[​IMG]

50/50’s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering the ‘hardness’ of the BM paint, I was happy with the results. I guestimate that 60% correction was made.. Not bad for Limeprime on German paint.

There were some random deeper marks/scratches dotted around unfortunately – I did my best to spot correct with a Sonus spot-pad and Menzerna IP 3.02.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

The temperature’s dropped and I’m still having water dropped from the wing-mirror housing and petrol filler caps – very annoying.

I glazed the car with a blue 3M finishing pad and ClearKote Red Moose Glaze to try and a little more depth.

[​IMG]

At this point it’s getting dark – I’m a long way behind and it’s been a strange day… Building work had stopped in the near-by barn, so, I shifted the kit and moved the car in until 7:30 when dinner was served.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan for in here was to get the interior done and out of the way – leave the LSP until the morning and follow that with dressings, engine bay etc.

Nasty(!) bird etching spotted under the strip lighting:

[​IMG]
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

End of day 1..

[​IMG]

Breakfast and gear up, I was back to the car for 8am. A fine layer of dust had settled on the car, this means another quick wash was in order!

[​IMG]

Engine dressed with AG VRC:

[​IMG]

Victoria Concours wax applied.

Windows polished.

Tyres dressed

Exterior plastic dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

A few final afters (before the rain)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packed up and started the small work on the Vogue interior (using LTT’s Auto Ultra Foam & Protect) and likewise, with the JEEP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JEEP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

50/50 (more like 80/20) on the arm-rest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DONE. Two fresh dates are needed for the Merc, but, watch this space; sooner, rather than later!

Quite a confusing read.. but, thanks for bearing with me.

Jim.
  4. jlillington

jlillington Member

Hmmm...looks like somebody still has cash to splash! Only 4 cars? :ohmy:

Nice work there Jim though.
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

One per person ;)

but no, you're right - it's a very nice place.
  6. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

nice work

and who said you can`t polish a turd ?????