1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 month after purchase - A PROBLEM

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Isoproturon, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 6, 2007]
    Only had my s/hand high mileage A4 Avant Quattro (2002/52) a month and already there is a problem.

When turning L or R out of junctions, there is a squeal like a belt slipping, and it is gradually getting worse. Doesn't seem to happen when setting off in a straight line.

Any ideas folks ?

Cheers,
    Chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Mcgough

Mcgough Member

[Mar 6, 2007]
    water pump is normally the first thing to start squeeking, ive just had mine changed at 45k miles but not sure why you only here if its just while turning, the only thing is possibly is powersteering belt/pully

tried it on ya drive getting someone to turn wheel while engine is running and looking under bonnet????
  4. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 6, 2007]
    I had wondered whether it was the PAS pump. I phoned an Audi dealer to see how much it would be, and they quoted £625 to replace it!!! OUCH!!

It has really p'ed me off - the last A4 did 38K in a year, taking it to 137,000 and only cost £120 in running repairs excl. a couple of things that needed doing when I first bought it.
  5. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

[Mar 6, 2007]
    Sounds like it may be the Alternator Freewheel Pulley. To replace it requires a Workshop tool so at a guess I'd say £200-£250 to replace it?
  6. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 6, 2007]
    Only thing is, if it were the alternator pulley, why does it only do it when turning?
  7. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 8, 2007]
    I am beginning to wonder if it is the PAS after all - surely it would do it a lot when turning the wheels with the car stationary (which it doesn't) ?

So could it be CV joints, or even the diff ?
  8. WHITEY_1

WHITEY_1 Member

[Mar 9, 2007]
    Definetely sounds like to me its the power steering, if you turn the steering wheel left or right for about half an inch and it doesnt make hardly any noise then when you turn it full you should get a loud noise like the fan belt is slipping. That is a definate sign that it is your power steering.
  9. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 9, 2007]
    Cheers, but that is what is confusing me - when it is turned, either partly or fully, there are no strange noises - it only happens when turning and setting off.
  10. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 20, 2007]
    Well, the car went into Audi today, who fitted a replacement power steering pump. Set off in the car and, guess what, the problem is still not fixed.

To be fair, this is being done under warranty and the supplying dealer, Select Marques of Thirsk, have been absolutely spot-on in terms of paying towards the repair (no cost if I had taken it to their preferred garage, but agreed to pay towards it at Audi).

So, any more ideas? One Audi guy now wonders if it is either the belt, doh, or the alternator pulley bearing. You'd have thought they'd have changed the belt when they did the pump, but no.

Any better suggestions, guys ?
  11. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Mar 20, 2007]
    Bearings dont squeal, its the belt. 100%.
  12. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 20, 2007]
    I think it sounds like a belt noise, but no-one who has heard it will agree with me !! Still amazed they didn't change the belt at the same time as the pump...
  13. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Mar 20, 2007]
    its a 5 minute change!
  14. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 20, 2007]
    They reckon they have to shift the front bumper out of the way and poss the radiator to get to it - it certainly doesn't look easy access.
  15. inigoj

inigoj Member

[Mar 21, 2007]
    You sure its a squeal noise and not a PAS groan?
  16. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 21, 2007]
    Definitely a squeal, quite high pitched.

It doesn't do it in a straight line, but neither does it do it when stationary and turning the wheels, which is v. odd if it was a steering problem.

Getting to the point where I just want to get rid of the car now.
  17. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 28, 2007]
    Problem now sorted.

Audi dealer removed PAS belt, and also loosened the engine mounts before going for a spin. The noise did not occur. Refitted and retightened and it *seems* to have cured it ;)