1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 million'th dogbone post

1animal1 Sep 16, 2009

1. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

I have searched regards this but wanted an up to date run down of what people are using and IF there are any other user reviews on anything other than powerflex (or including powerflex)

im swayed towards the powerflex but slightly worried about these vibrations everyone talks about, i understand VF engineering do a kit (is the VW item the same bush?) and also superpro...firstly am i missing any options and secondly whats the general consensus before i place my order :)

aaaaand whats the correct torque setting needed for the bolt on the bone itself

Tim

2. 1animal1

incidently - DPM performance quote £15.20 inc vat for the powerflex dogbone - but £9.95 postage!!! whats that all about????

TT shop - £19 plus £3.95 postage

why do firms insist on ripping off the consumer with such silly costs, I sent a phone to someone registered a few weeks ago (boxed) and it cost me £1.50 odd to send - I don't mind paying an extra £3-4 for anything but the principle that someone is ripping me off annoys me

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Standard charge. Easier to implement that on a site than custom charges for each product. Also encourages you to buy in bulk.

Im sure if you gave them a phone they could do a deal?

4. 1animal1

that makes sense Minty..cheers mate

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I've got the Powerflex one, fitted it my self, can't remember the torque settings, but it's on a sheet of paper with the mount. Had vibrations through the steering at the start, but it's not there anymore after bedding in, or maybe I just got use to it? Gearchanges are definitely more direct with one fitted, not crunched my gearbox going from 2nd to 3rd @MAX revs in ages.

6. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Ive got the powerflex and i love it, completely changed the feel of the car, the rear is so much more planted than before, doesnt feel slack, just solid. The car is also alot more responsive and it the braking alos felt alot better with it fitted.

7. Dani_B19

Just to ad no nasty cabin vibration's either, the steerng wheel has a slight more movement to it but thats it, the only reason people get bad vibration is they've tightened it too much when fitting it.

8. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

whats the idea of this dogbone then, what does it improve? for £20 must be worth getting

9. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

It's basically the mount for the gearbox against torque, I've got the ECS one and I prefer it to how it was stock. On the other hand most cars would now probably benefit from an OEM replacement as all the other rubber bits on my car have worn out over the years.

10. Dani_B19

Hit the nail on the head there, mine's 9 years old so thats why mine will have made such a difference.

11. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Is it a DIY component or a job for the garage?

12. Dani_B19

Can easily be DIY, i posted a link ages ago toa good guide on how todo it.

13. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

cheers boss, i'll do a search

14. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

15. Dani_B19

Nar westle thats the **** one, look abit harder, i posted a realy good link, id find it but im on mi fone.

16. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I had a few vibrations when pulling away slowly but it settled down after a while. I still may continue to use my OEM + powerflex rather than the THS one I bought as a set... see what happens when she lives again :)

<tuffty/>

17. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

Ive got superpro's ones fitted, i went for the front and rear bushes not just the rear that alot of people do. Made a good improvement to the gear change especially with the second to third gear change crunching which has almost completely gone since fitment.

18. Kunit

Kunit Member

Why do you all call it a dogbone mount? Also Dani B19, the only thing it will affect is the movement of the engine and maybe improve gearchange but realisticly as they are cables no difference should occour as for braking and the rear end being more planted......huh?

19. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

It looks like a dogbone when it's off the car in your hands.

20. Kunit

Kunit Member

So nobody calls it its official name of pendulum then?

21. MintyS3

*sigh* :asskicking:

22. Kunit

Kunit Member

For why?

23. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  24. Kunit

Kunit Member

That's cool just getting my head round the lingo, I'm a tech for audi and it's a bit like a new language, thanks. Minty your rude as ****.

25. Dani_B19

Kunit im just saying what it did for me, every car just like every person is different and will react in different ways.
    You get used to minty haha :).

26. 1animal1

Kunit it does tend to cure a hell of a lot of problems regardless off what it does.....my issue is just because i wana change sumat on the car and this is one of the most common upgrades---but yes we acknowledge that your a techy, although it has been referred to as a dogbone by most people apart from Audi since 19'o'blob ;)

cheers for all the help guys, will most likely go for the powerflex..... ill give DPM a call later and see what he can do for postage on this

27. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Haha your like me mate. I'm always looking for something to change every month. If its a big mod that I cant afford et I'll find something a bit cheaper to tie me over. Even if its something like buying a new air freshner, it makes me feel better :racer:

28. 1animal1

:) it is a bug mate, im just looking round for things that need doing till i decide what the cars long term plans are (tufty's thread in mind eeek)

im gonna get some rear anti-roll bushes from Audi aswell i reckon as cant see the mileage in upgrading these unless i change the bar eventually...unless anyone else thinks its worthwhile? :)

29. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I currently need a new rear ARB and wishbone bushes but I'm just getting standard replacements because I dont want to spend the cash on an entire suspension overhaul. Maybe one day but at the moment ste standard gear does me just fine.

30. 1animal1

you gotta think for what your gonna use it for though...cost vs benefit and all that....

31. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

32. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

Lol...

That made me laugh :lmfao:

33. 1animal1

it is referred to as the pendulum on the 8P model for reference :)

34. 1animal1

Rich what approxiamate lifetime could you put on the powerflewx in real terms (ie not trcking)

35. MintyS3

[​IMG]

36. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

lol at Minty

The truth hurts doesn't it mint :)

37. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

I just went and bought some just then :D Might fit them self, might not.

38. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

when the car is on the ramps, is it easy to notice the dog bone, as it looks like a dogs bone, do you just undo the screw squeezing the bushes together or do you undo a different bolt to get the dog bone out. ?

edit.. just jacked up my car and yer its obvious, theres 3 bolts i can see, is there more behind it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  39. 1animal1

ok, powerflex sourced from JBS for an absolutely stonking price...cheapest i found anywhere even DPM none posted price...

Cant believe how much it judders on idle!! im hoping this will calm down a little as it feels totally alien at the moment....wont be doing the full powerflex kit thats for sure.....

will report back after ive tested for a few more miles

40. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

what exactly vibrates?? does it make the gear changes any slicker or what?