1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9TDI water pump problem, now non starter

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by kitefright, Jun 17, 2009.

1. kitefright

kitefright New Member

[Jun 17, 2009]
    Hi folks! New to the forum today and already asking for help:sos:

I've an 03 last of the old style A3 1.9 TDI. Bought the car back in 2005 and have had 60,000 happy miles with no issues what so ever.
    A month ago I started her up and heard a nasty chucking/rattling sound with the occasional squeek. I turned her off straight away, popped the bonnet and restarted her. I looked like the water pump had siezed as the belt was turning but bouncing over the waterpump pulley which was locked solid. I was due to go on holiday the following day so left it where it was and took the van to work. 3 weeks later I returned from holiday and had to move the car out of the drive to get my motorbike out of the garage. I turned the key and it turned over but would not start. After 60 seconds of trying the battery went flat so removed it and put on charge. With the battery freshly charged I tried again....Turning over again but still no go and a huge cloud of black smoke to boot.
    So I plan to put it into a local garage to get a new water pump fitted but i'm concerned there is now also another problem.
    The timing belt doesn't run the water pump on these cars do they? Is it possible i've knocked the timing out by repeatedly trying to start it? If not, any other ideas why it suddenly won't fire into life?
    Any help greatly appreciated!!!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. PUP

PUP New Member

[Jun 18, 2009]
    I have a 2000 plate 19TDi and the timing belt runs over the water pump. I was advised to change my pump when I had the belt changed last year.
  4. kitefright

kitefright New Member

[Jun 20, 2009]
    Ah bugger! Thought that might be the case. Looks like she'll be going on the back of a wagon to my local Audi dealer then:sadlike:

Thanks for the info!