1.9tdi S/s Exhaust

louis_123

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help... I'm after a cat back straight pipe and was wondering if I cut the exhaust behind the first silencer would that be okay or is it better to have a pipe to the rear of the car?

Nothin says you can't cut the exhaust under the car, but from an mot point of view it would become a failure if its deamed that the exhaust is not accessible for emissions testing

It wouldn't affect back pressure or anything? Hmmm I didn't think about that bit...

On forced induction engines back pressure isn't really and issue. Its N/A engines that can have negative effects from loss of back pressure. I come from a petrol turbo background and always used to fit side exit exhausts on the old r5gtt's as it frees up flow from the turbo.

Nothin is stoppin you from putting the exhaust out behind the front wheel if u wanted to ;)

Reactions: louis_123
Yeah I also believe back pressure's a myth for anything with a turbo (maybe even n/a cars too but I haven't really looked into this as I never plan to own one), a handful of people believe you need flow blocking rubbish to make the car work or to stop boost spikes or whatever these crazy people choose to believe.

Reactions: louis_123
Wicked thanks for the info might look into a side exit exhaust ;)

Just see where there is room underneath to poke the exhaust out

I'm gonna do that in the morning :) hopefully there is a bit of room

if not you could cut out a bit of the skirt, either way definitely post pictures if you do, did consider this for mine at one point.

Hmmm that's an option as well :) I will do, is decatting a good option or no point?

Good option, always go turbo back personally, just need an MOT tester that isn't satanic.

Yeah, was thinking about gutting the cat instead of replacing tho.

Defo don't gut the cat as it causes a bottle neck effect inside he exhaust as the gases expand in the hollow cat and have to squeeze back down to get through the system. Cats are pointless on a diesel anyway

U could recess it into the sill as said above like we did on my bros r5gtt, although we did have to cut and recess the actual sill for this one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410775134050217

Hmmm I had a quick look under the car this afternoon and there isn't a lot of room to play with especially being so low aswell lol

Depends if the smoke obscures your view lol. Nothing states where the exhaust has to exit, but I guess mr plod wouldn't like it lol