1.9tdi mpg gone down now it's colder

Ian2012

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? i have been getting easily mid 50's now am down at 49-51mpg, oddly enough the hotter the outside air temp over the summer the better mpg i was getting. is this normal with diesel's?

Ta

Yes very normal, colder air is denser so the engine uses more fuel to compensate but you should get a little more power, but won't be that noticeable

It's actually due to the anti freeze additive the refinery add the stop diesel slidifiying, this reduces the cetane rating thus MPG slightly drops.

Not entirely true, cold weather the engine uses more fuel to get to operating temperature hence the Mpg drop. Winterized diesel is not introduced till late november if the weather forecast is well below zero celsius.

Time to compensate with some additive then.

Quite natural, stop worrying, the colder the engine the more fuel it will use till up to temp, plus extra electrical loads etc.....

yep mine went down from averaging 39-40 in the summer to 34-35 last winter with the snow but just this last week ive noticed its gone down to 38 so its dropping with the temp!

Wow never thought it would make that much difference, it's like 10% or so