1.9tdi gear linkage fit 1.8t?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
are the two interchangeable? i could do wityh a new one and there is one at my local breakers on a 1.9 tdi but not sure if it will fit on a 1.8t. anybody know?

thats what i like to hear. just need to check if the bush is ok on it now.

It's not quite the same. Where the rod that goes to the gearbox mounts under the car it's turned round 90deg so the bolt comes in from the side but on my car it comes in from the top. They must have changed it for facelift cars.

was the 1.9tdi a quattro aswell?

Facelift linkages are different for sure, its mentioned on that team skittle racing page i've linked you to before.

He seems to suggest they are interchangable, but the earlier linkage isnt as good as the later one.

Only the 6 speed boxes have a completely different linkage afaik.

My bad, i have delved properly into this and find there are some with push rods, and some without and they can vary slightly on the actual shift rod, that's the bit that the allen key inside undoes. It seems to suggest not all the vaiations are for UK models and varients.

So where as so far all i have seen have been the same, it's concievable some random differences are out there. Sorry Ian

No problem. Its on now. I just had to drill and tap a horizontal hole to mount the shifter rod to the alloy bit on the botton of the gear lever. Im going to try and get a steel bit made at work to replace the bush in the original one then i can swap it back over. With it being a quattro and not having the car on a ramp it was a pain to do.

Last edited:
Im going to replace the rubber bush in the old linkage with a steel bit and i found a place in the states that sell a kit for a steel bit to replace the bush the same as i am going to do so im not the only one to think of doing this. Just need to drill the bush out and ges sizes now.