1.9tdi cam/inlet valve issue

Jinx0000

Reaction score
Car is a 2003 A4 1.9 tdi 130 Quattro Avant with the AVF engine, 210,000 miles covered

The week leading up to taking the car off the road my wife had said the car had been funny... noises and vibrations from gearstick but then returning to normal. When I drove it the fault didn't occur, i had wondered if the alternator pulling was seizing.
Finally the fault didn't clear and she limped home (4miles) from work. The engine had become loud but not mechanical sounding, more hollow like the exhaust or inlet ducting had split. Couldn't find anything at first glance other than the air at the inlet let side of air filter was puffing (positive pressure) but if you covered the whole there was suction there.

The next day in day light I investigated further and found that when rev'd hard there was a metallic noise. Also with intake pipe removed from the turbo inlet, I was still having this puffing air. So I removed the rocker cover and inspected the cam... several lobes worn!! Yay fault found! New cam kits and installation information researched but the loudness of the engine at idle and puffing air remained in my mind as it didn't fit.

Use of the Father inlaw's garage agreed and with all the info on the net saying how coked up they can get I start removing EGR, IC, ducting etc to give it a clean/inspection, so I knew if I needed any extra bits. Pleasantly surprised the IC didn't seemed too dirty, with only a bit of oil residue coming out of the bottom hose connection.

With the engine bay looking more sparse I debated on whether to remove the inlet manifold, it was oily for sure and would benefit a clean but wondered if it would just cause another issue. Decided to whip it off and soooo glad I did!! Caked in gunk where it joined the head but also exposed that the one inlet port wasn't oily but grey and sooty. Seems the inlet valve isn't seating!

This I believe is the reason for the loud air sound and puffing effect but what could cause this? Bent valve? Carbon on valve seat?

What's the next step? Head removal? clean in situ? Is it likely to clear itself?
Is this a common issue (cant find anything on the net about it)? Has anyone had this happen?

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this...

Thanks
Mark

(I've got pictures & will add them asap)

What oil and servicing intervals had it received through it's life ?

It was 4 years old when I bought it and had 110,000 on the clock, with dealer service history. Since I've had it (9years) I've generally serviced every 12mths before the MOT.

Car is a 2003 A4 1.9 tdi 130 Quattro Avant with the AVF engine, 210,000 miles covered

The week leading up to taking the car off the road my wife had said the car had been funny... noises and vibrations from gearstick but then returning to normal. When I drove it the fault didn't occur, i had wondered if the alternator pulling was seizing.
Finally the fault didn't clear and she limped home (4miles) from work. The engine had become loud but not mechanical sounding, more hollow like the exhaust or inlet ducting had split. Couldn't find anything at first glance other than the air at the inlet let side of air filter was puffing (positive pressure) but if you covered the whole there was suction there.

The next day in day light I investigated further and found that when rev'd hard there was a metallic noise. Also with intake pipe removed from the turbo inlet, I was still having this puffing air. So I removed the rocker cover and inspected the cam... several lobes worn!! Yay fault found! New cam kits and installation information researched but the loudness of the engine at idle and puffing air remained in my mind as it didn't fit.

Use of the Father inlaw's garage agreed and with all the info on the net saying how coked up they can get I start removing EGR, IC, ducting etc to give it a clean/inspection, so I knew if I needed any extra bits. Pleasantly surprised the IC didn't seemed too dirty, with only a bit of oil residue coming out of the bottom hose connection.

With the engine bay looking more sparse I debated on whether to remove the inlet manifold, it was oily for sure and would benefit a clean but wondered if it would just cause another issue. Decided to whip it off and soooo glad I did!! Caked in gunk where it joined the head but also exposed that the one inlet port wasn't oily but grey and sooty. Seems the inlet valve isn't seating!

This I believe is the reason for the loud air sound and puffing effect but what could cause this? Bent valve? Carbon on valve seat?

What's the next step? Head removal? clean in situ? Is it likely to clear itself?
Is this a common issue (cant find anything on the net about it)? Has anyone had this happen?

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this...

Thanks
Mark

(I've got pictures & will add them asap)

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Jinx247/media/A1F80F8C-29F2-4BE1-8518-80F27814359D_zpsxqv8ifct.jpg.html

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/J...F-4B8A-AE6B-E4C9CD2C2413_zpsurqwlphr.jpg.html

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Jinx247/media/26D06689-857F-4A0C-92D8-30E547236B2D_zpsvo30rrom.jpg.html

I wouldn't have thought the valve was bent. The engine will virtually be running on 3 cylinders which can cause all kinds of issues.

The cam have eaten trough the hydraulic lifter and the compression will go back into the inlet manifold when the intake valve opens hence the woshing noise and vibration. As mentioned by Carl above, the engine runs on 3 cyl...You will have to change cam, cam carriers, hydraulic lifters and the timing belt. Get quality billet cam as many of the cast ones I have seen were of poor quality and I had one snap on me ! Hope this helps...

The cam have eaten trough the hydraulic lifter and the compression will go back into the inlet manifold when the intake valve opens hence the woshing noise and vibration. As mentioned by Carl above, the engine runs on 3 cyl...You will have to change cam, cam carriers, hydraulic lifters and the timing belt. Get quality billet cam as many of the cast ones I have seen were of poor quality and I had one snap on me ! Hope this helps...

Thanks for the reply Adam, I nearly took the head off tonight but decided against it as the fault would come and go, which would cancel out a valve issue. So I've spent the evening cleaning out the deposits in the inlet ports.

This is the kit I'm looking at buying....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112169673512

Why change the cam belt?

I would spend my money on better parts to be honest with you, get quality INA lifters and glyco cam bearings. I don't know how good is the cam metal but if you consider that hardened material gets chewed in matter if months when the wrong oil is used then imagine how little a cheap, non hardened cam will last !

You should replace the timing belt if possible as rubber belts doesn't like being tensioned too many times + is false economy to keep the old belt especially as quality belt kits have came down in price !