1.9tdi awx boost gauge help

mattyb6

Reaction score
I'm after a boost gauge for my 1.9tdi

just wondering where's tues best place to feed to boost pressure from ?

i was going to buy a egr delete pipe from dark side developments and drill and tap a hose connector into it and run it from there?

Failing this somewhere near the intercooler

cherrs
matty

Ah well that's made my job easier. I seem it before on other pd engines

thanks mate. I think il just do that

Your welcome!

Perhaps you could explain the need for a boost gauge to me then? As I see it, accelerator pressed & RPM 2000+ equals boost....accelerator not pressed equals no boost :uhm:

As an alternative, there are some "dongles" available nowadays that plug in to the diagnostics port and bluetooth engine data to your smartphone. Don't have any links but surely a "boost gauge" for the 21st century!?

Over the last few month I have a few boost issues and limp mode. I got Paul with the black avant on here to vcds it and clear the codes.
been relatively fine since. But I like to know what my engine is doing. Lol plus I can get one cheap, and I'm looking into a few engine mods soon.

Sounds like you need the Mr Muscle treatment. Ollie_B's thread is a good one and there's one or two others knocking around too. Failing that, a new N75 (boost pressure control valve). Was the fault code 17965 by any chance?

What about getting VCDS for yourself? £20 ish for a "test lead" from ebay and a free download of VCDS-Lite (trial) from Ross Tech allows you to carry engine data logs which with give so much more information than just a boost reading. I've invested £68 to register my version of VCDS-Lite so I can now do auto-scans, coding and adaption...particularly useful if you're planning future mods and for about the same cost as an egr delete kit and boost gauge.

I've got the lite version just need a lead.
Also did the mr muscle clean thanks to ollie.
i blanked the egr off and clean the turbo at the same time. I think it made a difference.

Might actually remove the turbo and inlet one day and do it more thoroughly.

I don't like the idea of adapting via vagcom. Not confident enough.

Yeah I agree with the accuracy aswell. Just though the gauge could be a nice little touch aswell.
Il probably buy a lead at some point. Just I'm more focused on other jobs on the car ATM.

the boost gauge idea was just a quick cheap mod to help with day to day monitoring. Wether I get round to but one is a different story haha

If it's had a clean already then I'd be looking at the vacuum hose condition then. A small split could become more of a problem as the weather warms up and expands the rubber hoses ever so slightly.

Found this excellent turbo clean how to on my internet travels, if you really want to get hands on.

I seen some silicone replacement vacuum hose on eBay.
Samco style, for cheap.
Might have another look.

thanks for your advice anyway :)
not much experience with turbos an especially diesels

I'm after a boost gauge for my 1.9tdi

just wondering where's tues best place to feed to boost pressure from ?

i was going to buy a egr delete pipe from dark side developments and drill and tap a hose connector into it and run it from there?

Failing this somewhere near the intercooler

cherrs
matty

I have used a pressure guage to see what is happening to my boost I just tapped it off the ecu pipe I got under 1bar but this didn't show properly ontil I was up to 4-4.5k rpm. An old boost guage might suggest you have leaks or weak turbo as I suspect I have in mine I have a spare turbo to be tested and if ok swap it out and sort out vac pipes etc. going to do this on mine first before I spend money on remapping, I also intend to pull out ecu and make sure the sensor for bossy preasure is functioning / clean first if you do the ecu bit be aware I have been informed the pipe on the sensor is very fragile.

Last edited:
My home made pressure gauge made from redundant parts at work, gave me an indication of what my turbo is up to didn't boost until 4000rpm, note hand written amendment done by engineers being funny at work.

It's in the stickies mate
And that's quite clever
I forgot about this thread until now too
Still haven't git one yet